Noise and lack of power

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Spenner
Junior Bongonaut

Noise and lack of power

Post by Spenner » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi
I am experiencing a slight lack of power (going up hill) coupled with a whirring noise seeming to come from front passenger area below dashboard. When driving on flat and throttling back the noise disappears and van drives well. No overheating issues.
I have looked at the post regarding exhaust manifold issues and everything seems in place although I haven't had the heat shield off. I suspect the turbo, but would be guided by others on the forum. (on inspection turbo does seem particularly oily in patches).
Thoughts please?
Thanks
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Noise and lack of power

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:22 pm

check the large diam pipework that runs to and from the turbo, if that has got damaged during this rain it could affect performance, the intercooler is most at risk as its low down at the front, the pipe goes in one side and out the other.

remove the heat shield mate as no8 stud is also known to go if the manifold warps. look for sooty deposits around the turbo/manifold.
Spenner
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Spenner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks Ady - as usual top marks for the diagnosis!
The problem was the large diameter pipe way down at the front of the intercooler (lush diag part 13-550) had dislodged (jubilee clip had come undone).

Once connected and tightened there is no longer a noise and we are back to full power =D>

Link to lush projects
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#12

Cheers
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:56 pm

glad it was a cheap fix mate. =D> =D> =D> . was it 13-332p that had come adrift, the short link rubber pipe to the intercooler.

any way sorted thats the main thing. 8) 8) .

chocolate brownies in the post i hope. :wink: :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Gotta say, that was a Sherlock of a diagnosis by Ady. I'd not even heard of that one before =D> =D> =D>

I think Sherlock liked opium cake in the post though didn't he? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:41 pm

speners mrs is the best cook on the planet mate. mmmmmmmm :wink: . any cake will be just fine. 8) .

the rest is just elementary my dear wotsit. :oops: :lol: :lol:
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:glad it was a cheap fix mate. =D> =D> =D> . was it 13-332p that had come adrift, the short link rubber pipe to the intercooler.

any way sorted thats the main thing. 8) 8) .

chocolate brownies in the post i hope. :wink: :)
That's the one Ade, 13-332, bottom Jubilee, passenger side. What a massive difference that made to performance.

Was round there today. Didn't get any brownies :( BUT I did get a lump of bonfire toffee made by spenners hand, and bloody good it was too. :D
Steve
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:............... just elementary my dear wotsit. :oops: :lol: :lol:
May be elementary to you Ade but it's magic (black????) to some of us. Good call on your part mate.
Steve
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 pm

i hear she also makes a great peanut crunch, but i never saw any of that either-----you ate it all. [-X :roll: :wink:
Spenner
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Spenner » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for the follow up Steve - You don't need much to get sidetracked onto cake.
Mrs Spenner is flattered by the attention/praise and has noted the hints Ady..... She has never knowingly laced my cakes with anything stronger than Vanilla essence but has been tempted once or twice (how much for parts for the Van? :evil: :evil: )
Indeed a cheap fix - thanks to all once again - lets hope it can help others with the same symptoms (with the vehicle not cake habit =P~ )
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Subject: Noise and lack of power
widdowson2008 wrote:
Northern Bongolow wrote:............... just elementary my dear wotsit. :oops: :lol: :lol:
May be elementary to you Ade but it's magic (black????) to some of us. Good call on your part mate.
Been buggering about again with animation stuff in an attempt to try and follow the air circuit.
Would appreciate comments as prior to spinners problem I had absolutely no idea ho this circuit works. Ady explained it to me so if the diagram is wrong, it's HIS fault. :lol: :lol:

Steve
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:42 pm

very good steve,
may be an idea to mark the returning air from the intercooler towards the engine as going into the inlet manifold on the drivers side, the pic does make it look like it returns to the turbo then out the exhaust, or does your simplified pic show it going through the engine then out the exhaust via the turbo.

good to have you back though steve---------we need more drawings. :lol: :lol: =D> =D>
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:18 am

Sorry Ady :oops: - Just a first attempt to get to understand the turbo circuit.
I agree that it aint all that clear, but yes, the simplified pic is supposed to show it going through the engine then out the exhaust via the turbo.
I did a bit of trawling the net to find out what the basic components did and it's a bit more involved than I originally thought.
Would it be worth pursuing to get it a bit clearer? The forum seems to have lost its techies.......or are they in the wings somewhere?
Steve
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18 pm

it will do for me mate.

there are lots of good tecky peeps on here, both guys and girls steve, its maybe that they have a life as well as a bongo :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”