Bongo help Gloucestershire, dumping coolant

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

slider320
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo help Gloucestershire, dumping coolant

Post by slider320 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi all,

Been a bongonaught for almost 10 years now, spent a fortune, trying to get my Bongo up and running reliably over the last couple of years, new head (recon with skim), fuel pump, thermostat, water pump, Radiator etc. Must have cost me in excess of £1500 with labour but I still can't get it to run for more than 100 miles before it dumps all of it's coolant out of the header tank. I know how difficult these things are to bleed and I have spent many hours with the breather pipe above the header tank, funnel in hand.

I am at my wits end and am contemplating buying another Bongo and using this one for spares, but before I give up completely I thought I'd put a shout out to see if there are any local experts who would be willing to give me some help and advice. Tea and biscuits available.

I live in Cinderford in the Forest of Dean and would love to hear from anyone willing to help. Any questions let me know, most of the engine and cooling system is now new.

Hope to hear from anyone who can help.

Thanks Andy
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo help Gloucestershire

Post by Gasy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Hello and welcome
I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice offers of help
Are you bleeding it properly have you watched the vids on you tube
Got engine running and up to temp
See sawing funnel etc
Cheers gasy
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
slider320
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Bongo help Gloucestershire

Post by slider320 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi Gasy,

Tried most things I believe, really hoping I can find a friendly expert locally.

Andy
Manny
Bongolier

Re: Bongo help Gloucestershire, dumping coolant

Post by Manny » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:04 pm

I am no expert but from what you say "before it dumps all of it's coolant out of the header tank" it seems to me that it is probably getting exhaust gasses into the coolant system forcing the coolant out the only way it can go. Nothing to do with coolant bleeding. It probably is getting in through a blown or faulty head gasket. If the work you had done is still under warranty I would have them check it for you. I hope this helps and hope others with more knowledge express their views.

Manny
A Bongo by any other name would still drive as sweet.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:58 pm

Manny wrote:I am no expert but from what you say "before it dumps all of it's coolant out of the header tank" it seems to me that it is probably getting exhaust gasses into the coolant system forcing the coolant out the only way it can go. Nothing to do with coolant bleeding. It probably is getting in through a blown or faulty head gasket. If the work you had done is still under warranty I would have them check it for you. I hope this helps and hope others with more knowledge express their views.

Manny
I agree. And if it was dumping coolant not long after work was done then was it done properly (recon head sounds odd). Was the garage experienced with Bongos? Why did head go in the first place - coolant loss?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:33 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Manny wrote:I am no expert but from what you say "before it dumps all of it's coolant out of the header tank" it seems to me that it is probably getting exhaust gasses into the coolant system forcing the coolant out the only way it can go. Nothing to do with coolant bleeding. It probably is getting in through a blown or faulty head gasket. If the work you had done is still under warranty I would have them check it for you. I hope this helps and hope others with more knowledge express their views.

Manny
I agree. And if it was dumping coolant not long after work was done then was it done properly (recon head sounds odd). Was the garage experienced with Bongos? Why did head go in the first place - coolant loss?

It would look like the head was just skimmed .....Quote by poster....(recon with skim),

It probably needs a New head. :(
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Would it be worth doing a compression test, I'd guess that would indicate if the head gasket was leaking....

Also it may be worth running with the reservoir cap off to see if bubbles of gas come out, again this could be a sign of leaks from the cylinders into the cooling system
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:19 pm

I know it sounds obvious, but have you checked the expansion tank cap? Should be rated at 1.1 bar. If it has failed, then it WILL dump coolant from the tank. Cheap fix too.
Steve
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:27 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:I know it sounds obvious, but have you checked the expansion tank cap? Should be rated at 1.1 bar. If it has failed, then it WILL dump coolant from the tank. Cheap fix too.
Good call - always best to start with the simple stuff!

Return to “Techie Stuff”