Loosing Coolant not overheating after Cambelt change

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

worldadventurers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Loosing Coolant not overheating after Cambelt change

Post by worldadventurers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi All, looking for some advice please.

We have bought a 2.5 V6 petrol with LPG Bongo in the last month. We took our first camping trip away to visit a reputable garage in Gloucestershire for new breakpads and cambelt advice, after finding leaking cam seals, these were changed along with a new cambelt. Garage were very good & squeezed us in that afternoon.

We drove the 3 hour drive home that night, no problems. Next day on start up, coolant alarm went off. The tank had dropped to below the low marker but not completely empty. After advice from garage this was considered to be 'normal settling' after having been bled following the cambelt change. We topped up with water to just above full at the request of the garage and required to be topped up again by half a tank there after.

We have since noticed what appears to be a small coolant leak on the driveway the past week. We have placed cardboard underneath and have found it seems to be leaking slightly on a daily basis. Losing approx 1cm from coolant tank per night.

We are heading off on a 5000 mile Europe trip as soon as Bongo is all in order, so would appreciate any input on what this could possibly be.

Many thanks
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Loosing Coolant not overheating after Cambelt change

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

What's the rough location of the leak, as indicated by the cardboard?
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
worldadventurers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by worldadventurers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:46 pm

It appears to be coming from under the bonnet area, rather than further back under the seats. Unfortunately I'm not overly mechanically minded so I'm not much help. I did not jack it up and could not get under enough to have a close enough look. I was able to take some pictures but can't seem to post it in this forum.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:57 pm

If you have an online photo album account (photobucket, for example) you can include pictures from there...

forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9285

Hopefully, someone with a V6 will be along shortly.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:27 pm

As you stand looking at the front of the Bongo, is it coming from the left or the right hand side? The radiator drain tap is on the left, so it could be that it hasn't been closed properly. Or they might have removed the bottom hose from the radiator in order to drain the system - again on the left - so it might be a slight leak from that. You will able to see if you lay on the ground and look under the front bumper. Be careful that you don't get any coolant drips in your eyes though.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Radiator drain is on the drivers side while bottom hose is passenger side of the radiator. There are several hoses in front of the cambelt covers which may have been disturbed.
worldadventurers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by worldadventurers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks for the replies, great to know that help is at hand. After spending a good half an hour investigating under the Bongo as far as I can squeeze and some useful Dad assistance it appears the leak is coming from the heater matrix/front heater. The leak is more towards the Passenger side and further back than the radiator. It looks to be dripping down (from the front heater) and along a bolt at the bottom of the unit. Perhaps my diagnosis of it being a 'Coolant leak' was a little premature/bongo paranoia and it is in fact the Air conditioning. Any further thoughts welcome.
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:18 pm

It could be the discharge from the a/c evaporator, although I don't know exactly where this comes out. I think it's passenger side. Simon will know. :)

When my V6 has a coolant change and is bled, I find it's normal to keep topping up throughout the week as it settles out. It was like that when I bought it new (to me) from Budget Bongos in Southampton. They did a cam belt and coolant change and said I would need to keep topping over the course of a week.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Funnily enough I was under the van this evening but didn't note where the A/C drain is. This is the front of the engine looking up.

The thermostat housing is towards the bottom and going up from there is a rubber pipe which fits into a 3 or 4 way branch in the V shape by the cylinder heads. Mine had a slight weep here where the alloy corroded which meant the rubber was not making a perfect seal. Cleaned it up, used a smear of gasket compound and two jubilee clips. I will look into replacing it one of these days.

I changed the coolant yesterday for some long life stuff and bled it thoroughly. Left the level on full last night and came back this evening and the tank was empty after it cooled down and contracted so had to top up and re-bleed. Have left the level intentionally high in the tank and can always siphon some off if it's too high tomorrow.

Return to “Techie Stuff”