Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Auto Trans Fluid...

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 pm

I did a search and it seems that the correct ATF is

ATF Dexron III 5 Litre (5L)

The thread was locked so I could not reply.

I was going to get the fluid but found it could only be removed through the dip stick for the ATF
is this correct. The guy at garage who will do the basic engine service said he could do it if there is a sump plug.

The question is do any Freda/Bongos have a sump plug to drain ATF ?
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Auto Trans Fluid...

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:02 pm

No, there is no auto fluid sump plug, though some may have had one fitted in the sump on removal, I'm not sure. You can remove a whole lot using the likes of a Pela pump, probably enough to then just refill, but need to drop the sump to finish off the drain, remove any scruff off the magnet that sits in the bottom of the sump, inspect/clean the filter, etc... Not a horrendous job if you can pump the majority out first, but replacement gaskets are expensive, or you make your own, or you use instant gasket out of a squeezy tube as I did.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Nice one Driver and Passengers..ok might leave that for now then and get the garage to just do the
engine oil and filters. probably not quite as urgent I suspect this time round. Though I do not know when the transmission was done last, seems smooth enough, very smooth actually.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Fluid should be nice a pink/clear. Only worry if it's dark and smells like burnt toast. There should be a factsheet in the members' area on how to check the level - requires cycling through the gears while stationary and then checking level. Perhaps repeated in a thread if you search hard enough.
Image Image
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Much obliged.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:47 am

Did mine at the weekend and will post some pictures presently. The filter arrangement is different on the V6/2WD to what most people have and while it's more work to remove its a lot easier to clean. Service interval is about 25,000 miles as I recall.
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:56 am

Gaskets are NOT expensive unless you go OE. Around £6.00 if you wan't the type as fitted from new or around £3.00 for a cork/rubber style. Both prices are + p & p & plus vat.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:14 am

Cheers - misinformation - I'm sure somebody somewhere used to sell them at a ridiculous price. Glad to know not everything on a Bongo is silly price.
Image Image
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:06 pm

I fully intended to replace my gasket at the weekend & had sourced the correct Mazda part. It was a metal gasket with a thin raised rib which is designed to deform to provide the seal. However the one already fitted was a more traditional compressible gasket material so I decided to re-use this with a thin smear of Hermatite. If it had been a metal gasket, I would not have risked re-using it, but in this instance I was happy it was serviceable.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:17 pm

I did my V6 auto fluid change last year .. although there is a sump drain plug on mine .. I still removed it to give it a clean up internaly and externaly ..

Very easy job to do .. took longer to remove the engine covers than the sump ..!!

I used a battery drill set at a low touque to remove / re fit the sump bolts all gradualy done in a criss / cross / 'X' fashion ..

Mine was in mint condition .. not one smidgen of swarf on the magnet or in the old fluid ..

I re filled with Dexron3 ... Semi Synthetic fluid ...

Just had the Bongo MOTd for another thirteen months .... OK, but an advisery that one track rod end rubber needs changing .. and a 'rub' on one brake hose ..

It's not a big job to change both (complete) track rod ends and the brake hose later this week .. so I was well pleased..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Techie Stuff”