Roof rail microswitches

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Rustycan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Roof rail microswitches

Post by Rustycan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi,

Just been doing a bit of cleaning in Brian, I raised the roof to hoover the AFT when i finished i lowered the roof as normal
but when the roof was fully down i am still getting the beeping? further investigation it looks like the drivers side micro switch on the roof rail might of failed.
The micro switch passengers side look and feels good as in it clicks.
Drivers side did have a lot of grease around it and doesn't feel like its clicking when you push it in, is it possible to buy new ones as i cannot seem to find out very much info about them
on the interweb

thanks

Rusty
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Roof rail microswitches

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:28 pm

I think I identified a replacement part... viewtopic.php?f=72&t=48079, but they are prohibitively expensive.

You could try a breaker.

Basically, from memory, there is a slider on the carriage and a rubber nobble that should help to push the slider against the lever of the microswitch. The metal lever of the microswitch can be bent a little, or you can pack with tape, cardboard, etc... anything to get the switch to contact reliably. If you have a multimeter, you can test the microswitch itself by probing the connectors right under the back lip, by one of the motors, but it's a pain. If it doesn't look like it's been damaged and clicks nicely with a small screwdriver, then it's probably ok and you're looking at a mechanical issue. It might be a truly knackered switch, though, and it it isn't clicking nicely, as you say your's isn't, then it might be possible to remove it (cut the wires), clean it up on the bench and refit it.

Here's what happened with mine... generally speaking, under the lever of a microswitch, there should be a small black dust cap before you reach the microswitch itself, typically red/white but not always... this is about 1mm x 3mm rectangular. I had a job getting one of my switches to function correctly, as the dust cap appeared to be missing, requiring even more packing and bending of the lever to get it to press right the way down to the switch. A picture is worth a thousand words... not sure if I have one, though... :/

Good luck - others may have other suggestions.
Matt.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Rustycan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Roof rail microswitches

Post by Rustycan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:33 pm

I will check some more thanks for the reply :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”