HELP: Advice on using Khyam Motordome Tourer

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

HELP: Advice on using Khyam Motordome Tourer

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 pm

In anticipation of renewed Bongoing, Trish and me have bought one off eBay. Did a trial rig last night and all seems good (though I nearly pinched a finger in one of the joints, anyone else done that?) and a very nice quick rig awning, though an unorthodox rig so I guess speed comes with practice. It struck me that those plastic knuckles could easily be broken if incorrectly stressed and/or when rigging in windy conditions. Should I carry a spare or two? Awning seemed to come without awning poles - are they not included as standard? I'd like to set up using minimum number of guy ropes (trip hazard). It seems to me that in all but v windy weather, the 4 corner guys should be sufficient? Ours came without a groundsheet and I see they can be bought on eBay for £20 (cheap/tatty?) or from Khyam st £40 (pricey?) so I was going to try using a general groundsheet I already have, as a fitted one seems of questionable value. Finally, I assume that when it rains the awning tunnel collects water like a bathtub, and so carrying a spare pole/prop to put a pitch on it would be a good idea?

I'd welcome any thoughts on the above and more.

Thanks chums, see you in a field somewhere :-)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: HELP: Advice on using Khyam Motordome Tourer

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Not familiar with the Khyam, but really glad you're back Bongoing this season. :D
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:51 pm

I recently sold my Khyam Motordome Classic and that came with a spare of each type of joint, two poles to prop open the door and a third one for good measure and a groundsheet. Maybe the modern ones don't came with any spares, or it could just be that the seller didn't include them.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks Bob, and useful info Simon. Sounds like a spare knuckle or two might be a sensible investment. I can use poles from my other awning so no problem there :-)
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:23 pm

:lol: Keith once cut his finger quite badly trapping it in a joint but we were putting it up in very windy conditions.
Only once did we need to replace a joint in 5/6 years, but Khyam supplied a spare in the original package.
There were no poles to attach it to the bongo but a strip of figure of 8 which we cut down slightly to fit.There were poles to hold the front door up as a porch but thats not really essential. Again the figure of 8 has never been a problem -never come off when it wasnt suposed too. Guys - yes there are a lot arnt there (lol) In normal conditions i do the four corners then just attach three ropes to one peg round the sides but if it gets windy i do put them in properly.because of the shape and solid prestructure they can behave like giant kites in the wind especially when putting them up or down.and when you go out the side where the bongo was is quite flat so creates a large surface if its facing into the wind.The tunnel does fill up sometimes much depends on how tight you get it -the kyham porch poles are not long enough to prop it up you need something taller -a plastic cup over the top will stop it going through the fabric.

Groundsheets we got a 2.5 meter cut off a roll of the eco matting its 2 metres wide so not a bad fit for the motordome.It cost 40 quid i think but it did years of heavy frequent use.I seem to recall there was a hole appeared in it where four of the joiny bits wore through i dont actually know where it is. #-o I would buy it again though because i prefer it too a wet potentially slippy solid one.
I love the Kyham it has stood up to some grotty weather and there is a smugness to be had when you get up in snow to find only the khyams left standing.I rarely put it up now though i dont really need too for just me and i cant do it on my own as i,m too short to hold the centre and unfold the legs without standing on it (and i would never be able to line the bongo back up too it) -Alan (blobber) has no problems with his though its just a matter of being a few inches too short.Having said that i am considering bringing it to Allithwaite this time (always willing helpers) but i,m bringing No1 grandson and possibly his bike if it can be fixed in time, and undoubtedly more stuff than normal :lol:
I should really go look for that groundsheet. :roll:
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:10 pm

The trick to get the tunnel tight so that it doesn't flap about and get full of water is to put the awning up but don't peg it down (assuming it's not too windy). Attach the tunnel using the figure of eight and then gently walk the awning away from the van until the tunnel is nice and tight and then peg down.
Of course, if you take the van out then you have to make sure it's back in exactly the same position to get the tunnel tight.
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Yes Mike, trapping skin can be a problem, the trick is to gently push the joint in and the sleeve just glides into place. I bought a cheap plastic long ground sheet that goes right through the tunnel and just under the bongo so when you get out of the bongo you're not stepping onto damp grass! I also bought a piece of eco matt for the living area, its nice and soft on the feet :lol: got it off a roll cut to size from camperlands (nice and local). As Karen said, I have no erection problems on my own :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: so for a tall, strapping bloke like you it should be easy peazy
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:44 am

Brilliant tips you two - just what I needed and much as I'd suspected. It does seem like a great piece of kit. See you next weekend :-)
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Most has been said. Loosely peg the corners while it's on it's knees if windy. Ensure the legs are as far out as possible when pushing the joint. Ensure the feet webbing is tight all round. Attach to bongo and then adjust. If you have a Fiamma or similar you can use the strip in that to adjust when you return to the site. All new Khyams come with a couple of spare joints. See Tent Spares, khyam's outlet store. Standard canopy poles can be used. Advise you peg all guy ropes - anticipate the worst! I learnt the hard way, only pegged the corners, went for a walk, wind got up and when I took it down later, one knee snapped under the pressure. Need to keep feet as tight as possible. Easy to replace joint though. Remember, expect the worst weather!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:28 am

Jillygumbo wrote:Most has been said. Loosely peg the corners while it's on it's knees if windy. Ensure the legs are as far out as possible when pushing the joint. Ensure the feet webbing is tight all round. Attach to bongo and then adjust. If you have a Fiamma or similar you can use the strip in that to adjust when you return to the site. All new Khyams come with a couple of spare joints. See Tent Spares, khyam's outlet store. Standard canopy poles can be used. Advise you peg all guy ropes - anticipate the worst! I learnt the hard way, only pegged the corners, went for a walk, wind got up and when I took it down later, one knee snapped under the pressure. Need to keep feet as tight as possible. Easy to replace joint though. Remember, expect the worst weather!
Good advice, noted with thanks :-)
Manny
Bongolier

Post by Manny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Good piece of kit. I had two joints and a pole break in a storm in Scotland! Managed to get joints on t'internet somewhere and had to repair the pole by fiting a smaller tube inside and rivetting.
One annoying thing is because the tubes are on the outside there is nowhere inside to hang anything .
Before detaching the bongo from it to go sightseeing I mark the position by using two tent pegs and a guy rope between them and I place them about 1 inch (2.4 cms) from the centre of each offside wheel. One hard learned lesson is to roll the tunnel inwards when securing to go out so that when it rains and you unroll you don't get a shower.

Manny
A Bongo by any other name would still drive as sweet.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Mike

We sold our Khyam after many years happy use, I did break a pole in the 2nd year it had rotated in the sleeve and it was very windy, advice above is spot on. Also a top tip is to roll the tunnel up 'in ' on itself so that when it's not in use the rolled up tunnel does trap a massive amount of water.

Good tent but worth having the repair kit and seam repair gloop etc. Khyam sell loads of stuff direct and still good prices.

Graham

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”