Vango Sapera Awning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Vango Sapera Awning

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 am

Just bought a Vango Sapera awning after seeing just how fantastic they are at the NEC yesterday.

can't wait to get it up to report back on our findings.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: Vango Sapera Awning

Post by roosmith » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:37 am

My findings with ours have been can't recommend enough!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 pm

I nearly bought one of these which I saw at the show as it was a great bit of kit: http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/oxyge ... ite-2.html

However, they don't pack up into a particularly small bag which would make storage a bit tricky while touring around.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:02 pm

We have the extra long Sapera so it isn't all that small but it isn't heavy which was a big thing for us. It's also cheaper than that one, considering the extra size.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 pm

I always worry about what happens if they become leaky. Has anyone much experience of how well they last?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 pm

The Outwell one from my earlier link has a lifetime manufacturing defect warranty. In the unlikely event of a puncture, the inflatable 'beam' can just be unzipped from it's cover. They are about £40 apparently.

The chap from Outwell was quite scathing about the quality of the Vango ones on the stand opposite him. I think the double-ripstop material used on the Outwell does look very hard wearing but I guess time will tell.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Simon Jones wrote:The Outwell one from my earlier link has a lifetime manufacturing defect warranty. In the unlikely event of a puncture, the inflatable 'beam' can just be unzipped from it's cover. They are about £40 apparently.

The chap from Outwell was quite scathing about the quality of the Vango ones on the stand opposite him. I think the double-ripstop material used on the Outwell does look very hard wearing but I guess time will tell.
Interesting. I must get a look at one in the flesh.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 am

Hi
Mike...
We had one of those inflatable tents over 20 years back...and the inflatable system was old even then. We took it on holiday with Tony's family who were over from Holland...we had the awning on the Type 2...Well....the tent kept deflating, but if pumped up every now and then , it just sufficed....
Don't forget, if it's a SLOW puncture, if the air beam is sewn in , it'll be a pig to find, but if it's removeable, you're quids in!
MAYBE they are a bit better nowadays, but I still prefer flexi-poles for a long stay, HOWEVER, I would risk having another bash for the odd over-nighter...OR a tailgate jobbie!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:12 am

Simon Jones wrote: The chap from Outwell was quite scathing about the quality of the Vango ones on the stand opposite him. I think the double-ripstop material used on the Outwell does look very hard wearing but I guess time will tell.
Shock horror - competitors product not as good as ours!!!!! :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 am

Mark Elvin wrote:
Simon Jones wrote: The chap from Outwell was quite scathing about the quality of the Vango ones on the stand opposite him. I think the double-ripstop material used on the Outwell does look very hard wearing but I guess time will tell.

Shock horror - competitors product not as good as ours!!!!! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I saw that coming a mile off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Innovative design on the other hand :roll:

But it sounds from Simon's post as though the innovative bits can be replaced.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:12 pm

The vango is as Simon says repairable by just unzipping the beams out and replacing the whole lot if necessary but it also comes with a repair kit similar to your bike inner tube. As they are only infalted to 7 PSI I don't think that type of repair would be difficult to do.

On top of that the zip-in pocket the beams are in, are very thick and sturdy, so unless you happen to be rolling it up on thorns you'd be hard pushed to get a puncture like that. Obviously wear and tear puncture, only time will tell!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”