Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cardiff996
Bongolier

Alternator connector?

Post by cardiff996 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi,

Fitted the new alternator, all seem OK and back to normal

When removing the old alternator, I managed to pull out the thin wire (Other is the thicker brown one) that fits into the electrical connector, that's in-turn push fitted into the main body of the alternator
I couldn't work out how to get the spade fitting out from this fitment so |I could reconnect the the wire
I had to cobble it together by pinching the wire in to the top of the spade, and a blob of glue!

Question: What is this wire for, so I can monitor if there is any problem?
And any idea please how to get these spade fittings out so I can do a proper job

Thanks gang
Rich
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Alternator connector?

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:00 pm

I believe it's the feed to coil in the alternator. Without it you'll have the charge and sediment lights glowing and it won't be charging.

Would a pair of long nose pliers be able to grab the end of the connector to pull it out?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:06 pm

It sounds like the " exciter" feed.

I wrote this a few years ago to get peeps Excited....

The field windings are initially supplied via the ignition switch and charge warning light, which is why the light glows when
the ignition is on but the engine is not running. Once the engine is running and the alternator is generating, a diode feeds the field current from the alternator main output, thus equalizing the voltage across the warning light which goes out. The wire supplying the field current is often referred to as the "exciter" wire. The drawback of this arrangement is that if the warning light fails or the "exciter" wire is disconnected, no excitation current reaches the alternator field windings and so the alternator, due to low residual magnetism in the rotor will not generate any power. However, some alternators will self-excite when the engine is revved to a certain speed. You can check for a faulty exciter-circuit by ensuring that the warning light is glowing with the engine stopped.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:24 pm

It sounds to me like the signal wire that lights the "Charge" lamp, the field coils are fed from either the HEAD light fuse (Diesel) or INJ fuse (petrol), see pin 1A on the alternator connector;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cardiff996
Bongolier

Post by cardiff996 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:51 am

Hi all

Thanks for the reply's and sorry for the delay in replying, as I have been on holls

Any idea please how to remove this spade connector from the main fitting

I have tried long nose pliers but it seems to clip fitted into this unit
I don't want to use excessive force in case I damage it complementary

Thanks very much again
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:13 am

The workshop manual has a very vague picture on page 9 showing how to remove individual spade connectors from the plug body - it suggests "Insert a flat head screwdriver etc. to push the stopper up and pull the harness out"

Usually these plug bodies have a small plastic spring clip, of the spade itself has a small metal spring tang, which lock the spade. So hopefully by careful inspection plus a bit of poking about with a very small flat screwdriver you should be able to unclip the spade
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:31 pm

The barb/tang needs to be depressed by using a very small screwdriver or then bit of metal, pushed up from the front of the plug, whilst you pull the connector out from the rear. See this youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFM-6ovP_-k
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cardiff996
Bongolier

Post by cardiff996 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Great job again guys,
thanks

Return to “Techie Stuff”