Door problem or Battery??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Stargazer
Bongonaut

Door problem or Battery??

Post by Stargazer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Techies!

A few days ago we noticed that the central locking on our Bongo appeared to have some issue; not all doors would unlock, also we noticed that the "door open" warning light kept coming on, this seemed to resolve itself but yesterday it did it again and now the Bongo will not start? engine won't turn over, interior lights dim..not sure if this is related or not? :? we tried a jump starter with no luck so currently have the battery on charge on the kitchen counter, in the meantime....any suggestions on what's been going on here?

Cheers :D
Home is where you park it..... :)
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Door problem or Battery??

Post by Tony x » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:31 pm

I'd say the battery as the central locking is one of the first things to stop working when the voltage gets low - it is on ours anyway.
It might be the earth connection rather than the battery itself however.
Stargazer
Bongonaut

Post by Stargazer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:57 am

Cheers

I'd like to check and clean the main earth connections; can anyone advise where to find these? I think the main one comes off one of the battery leads but want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing! Wiring is not by strong point.

Thanks
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Going on what you have said with the door open warning light coming on id say there is a good possibility that it could also be bringing your interior lights on which in turn has flattened your battery ??
Are you using decent thickness jump leads or argos specials ?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:20 pm

My thought is that battery is either on the way out (is it original Japanese?) or there may be an issue with the charging. Do you get the sediment and battery lights staying on when the engine is running? Does the van get used regularly or does it sit idle for weeks on end?
Stargazer
Bongonaut

Post by Stargazer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for all your advice, as always people on this forum are so helpful! issue is now resolved, with battery fully charged engine turned over no problem but there was indeed an issue with the sliding door (closing mechanism stuck) followed the advice of giving the door a good thump to release it but sadly this did not work so had to take door card off and fix from inside. all done now and everything seems to be working fine again..Yippee :P

Thanks again to all you wonderful "techies" :D :D :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”