Original Mazda multimedia and NAVI unit - in Japanese

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

trevorjtaylor56
Apprentice Bongonaut

Original Mazda multimedia and NAVI unit - in Japanese

Post by trevorjtaylor56 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi All

My 2003 Bongo came with a tilt-up multimedia unit - radio, dvd, tv, minidisk and Navi - which is linked to the reversing camera.

Is anyone familiar with how these work? The screen instructions are all in Japanese. The DVD doesn't seem to accept Region 2 DVDs and the CD player is a bit hit and miss and the clock is on Japanese time. The TV doesn't find any stations (presumably because its analogue on Japanese frequencies). Other than that its perfect......

I've Googled but no luck. Any ideas where I can find some English instructions?

I'm not holding out much hope but someone out there may have trodden this path already. I've been told that if I replace the head unit the reversing camera will probably not work anymore so if I can get the original unit going it will save me a lot of cash.

Regards to all

T
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Original Mazda multimedia and NAVI unit - in Japanese

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 pm

It's basically a case of bin it and start again :( They look impressive but don't really work in the UK.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Getcarter
Bongolier

Post by Getcarter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:49 pm

We have one like you describe. Works great with the reversing camera, the 6 cd changer under the rear seats and the radio (if you like Radio 2 only)

It wont work for anything else. The DVD is for the sat nav and would only work in Japan.
V6 Tintop with LPG
garethjr
Junior Bongonaut

Post by garethjr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm planning to get a reversing camera for the Bongo, and was wondering about wiring it up to the original flip up DVD player screen that came with it (I'm not really bothered about watching DVDs on it). Has anyone done this? Is it just a standard AV input? Can anyone recommend a camera?

Thanks,
Gareth :?:
Gareth

1999 2.5V6 AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Japan tends to use NTSC M rather than the much more common PAL I in the UK, most cameras are single standard. If you get an NTSC camera then there is a good chance that if you ever change the display you will also have to change the camera. If you get a PAL camera the original display probably won't be able to display it, however some displays are multi-standard no idea if the original unit is but not that likely.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Bin it. The TV wont work, the sat nav will only work on Japan and as mentioned, you'll only get Radio 2 without a band expander. I've just fitted a Pioneer AVH3500DAB which should work with your camera as it supports PAL, NTSC and SECAM. It plays DVD, CD, MP3, FM/AM/DAB and works with Android and iOS (plus apps), streams via Bluetooth and has a good handsfree kit. It has several AV inputs so could be used with a DVB tuner and there is an expensive (£200) sat nav add-on but I wouldn't bother.

I think the model is end of line so can be picked up for just over £200 if you shop around: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/arch ... /page.html
garethjr
Junior Bongonaut

Post by garethjr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Thank you both, I'll have a look at the pioneer unit. I'm not too worried about sat nav, I've got an old garmin if we need it, we're not usually in a hurry in 5he bongo anyway!
8)
Gareth

1999 2.5V6 AFT
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello

I have a silmilar unit.
I am happy with it and can live with just radio 2, radio 5 live and CDs.
One thing would help,any idea how you change the clock as it is accurate but exactly 3 hours out.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:47 pm

Just start a campaign for triple Summer Time.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”