help, garage can't fix my bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rocketeeer
Bongonaut

help, garage can't fix my bongo

Post by rocketeeer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:45 pm

My garage (an auto-electronics outfit) have admitted defeat. They've had my newshape 2003 diesel Bongo in for three weeks, and have been round the forums.
The glow light is flashing an engine fault: the second EGR valve (the one with the 3-wire sensor, there are two apparently) doesn't appear to be operating for some reason but they don't know why, the vacuum system is just too complicated for them to get their heads round.

Please help!

Rocketeeer
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: help, garage can't fix my bongo

Post by briwy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:11 pm

I'd take it to a garage that knows Bongos if I were you.
The vacuum layout isn't that complicated. I disconnected the EGR valve completely on our 2001 diesel without any problems. What you have to watch out for is that some of the vacuum gear is associated with the turbo operation but it's fairly straightforward to follow it through.
rocketeeer
Bongonaut

Post by rocketeeer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Can anyone suggest a Garage in/near Scotland (Glasgow) that does know Bongos?

Thanks,

Rocketeeer
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi
Likewise, I find it extraordinary that a garage can't fathom the system...It's 20 year-old technology, and I'd really worry about anyone working on my vehicles if they can't work out the system. I also have removed the EGR, but mine is an earlier model. Good luck with finding a Bongo garage...there should be one local to you.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Perhaps give Allan in Plymouth or Gerry at Discount Trucks a call & see if they could provide some pointers on what to check. I doubt there's many faults they haven't come across.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:21 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Likewise, I find it extraordinary that a garage can't fathom the system...It's 20 year-old technology, and I'd really worry about anyone working on my vehicles if they can't work out the system. I also have removed the EGR, but mine is an earlier model. Good luck with finding a Bongo garage...there should be one local to you.
Cheers
Helen

I think the garage is in fact "My garage (an auto-electronics outfit)" hence the lack of mechanical and steam navigation knowledge to get their head round the workings of the ERG and turbo gubbins.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:02 am

Hi
Maybe the garage is an electrical outfit, but they were asked and attempted to fathom a vacuum system, and shouldn't attempt to try ...and as they are electro-pneumatic they ought to have a working knowledge of what the electrical side does ????
Anyway, I expect the OP is now on the way to a Bongo garage...and they'll soon suss it out
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:33 am

You could try GBL Motors, Duff Street Lane, Dalry, Edinburgh. I have not used them myself, but believe they know their bongos from other posts on here. May be worth giving them a call to reassure you before you book it in?

Cheers

David

Return to “Techie Stuff”