Stewby's 2015 Travels...

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

stewby
Bongolier

Stewby's 2015 Travels...

Post by stewby » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:33 pm

So, our new years resolution is to use the bongo more in 2015 and we have kicked it off in style.

On the 8th March, we had a wee day trip to a coastal town not far from us. The aim was to test the bongo following his hibernation period.

Here's our bongo enjoying a wee trip to the beach.

Where we had a wander, found a small museum (it was very cute) and saw some ducks.

:D
stewby
Bongolier

Re: Stewby's 2015 Travels...

Post by stewby » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:50 pm

We followed this up with a tour along the Coastal Route West on 21st - 22nd March.
:)

Arrived at a costal town and watched some surfing:

We did a wee bit of exploring and have found ourselves two little places to wild camp in the future. They were stunning.

Number one:

Number two:

Because it was our first attempt at wildcamping, we chose to stay quite close to my parents so that if it all went wrong, we could "abandon ship" easily. However, it was perfect. We weren't even cold.

Our final wee picture from this trip is a wee sneaky visit to Cragievar Castle. It was closed (sadly) but we snuck up to the disabled parking bit to get this wonderful picture of our bongo.

Hope you enjoyed our wee summary of our trip north.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:15 am

Wonderful, thanks for posting. :D

That last one is like a sort of mini Colditz.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:42 am

stewby wrote:Image
I like that :wink:
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:40 am

Looks lovely. We are heading up to Scotland in Bunty over Easter, aiming for Skye. Whereabouts were the car parks you showed. Always love being able to park by water.
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Thought you would appreciate the castle pic muz.
:wink:

Neil's next castle stop is Balmoral... apparently.
:shock:

The first one is a place called Aberdour Beach.
The second one appears to be called Cullykhan Bay. It is down a single track road with lots of quite massive potholes.
The one we slept in (for our first trip) is at Lossiemouth.

Hope that helps Mrs Muppet. It's not really near Skye but it is absolutely stunning.

I felt quite cheeky about the Lossie one as it was right in front of a campsite... but it was our first time attempting wild camping so we needed to be near my parents and stuff in case it all went wrong.
:oops:
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:01 pm

So... we have a big holiday planned. Not the one we originally had planned (sadly but it has only been postponed, not cancelled).

We are heading down to England to meet with friends, flying to Rome for a few days and then heading back to the bongo for a trip to OH's parents in Lowestoft.

We had really wanted to try Europe but my dad had concerns as we really don't know enough about the bongo's inner workings so that if something went wrong, we wouldn't know what to do.
An example being muz recommended taking fanbelts, alternator and brake pads... however, neither of us would know when something was broken or how to repair it.
As a result, we pushed back the Holland trip and my dad is now teaching us all about the engine.
:oops:

We are a bit pushed for time as we leave on 24th April and the bongo has decided to break a bit... we have lost the exhaust. Not all of it but about half. The end tube bit fell off with us a couple of weeks ago but my dad said that the garage could fix that no problem.
So billy bongo obviously didn't like this idea as he decided to lose the back box whilst my brother was driving back over the cairn a couple of nights ago.
#-o

So we now have a week to get the exhaust replaced (my garage is on holiday the following week). It's all ordered, along with some wiper blades. Due to cost issues, we have decided to wait and get the battery later on. Dad says it should last until the end of the season but we could change it out at the MOT in July.
:|

Anyways... means the bongo has been stuck on the drive for the weekend (boo hiss). Am getting a bit addicted to this bongo-ing malarky.
:cry:
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Post by Cab-ova pete » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi stewby, your bongo looks quite at home outside the castle! I'm hoping to be coming up north, west coast at the end of July, all being well! I did the east coast a couple years ago, Inverness, culloden, moray firth, rosemarkie,urquhart castle, loved it!!! Hoping to do a couple of nights in the lakes on the way up.
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Ahw, that brings back our memories. Our very first trip away in the bongo together was to Loch Ness. We stayed in a lovely campsite right on the lochside and did the trip to Urquhart Castle. We took jacobite cruises to get there.
Great memories.

My brother has done the north before. He highly recommends a place called smoo cave. He said it is amazing.
http://www.smoocave.org/

Neil and I are planning on heading up there at some point as we really take our beautiful countryside for granted. I have been with my parents before and the campsite at John O' Groats is nice. Not much to it but the views are lovely. Will see if I can hunt down a pic or two.
The reason why we went was to catch a wee bus tour. It leaves John O' Groats and goes over to Orkney, takes you round a heap of sites then takes you back to the ferry and home. The campsite is right beside the ferry port.
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:37 pm

History lesson on our bongo: Trips with my parents.

* Holland 2009 (Overloon which is where I want to take Neil).

* John O' Groats 2009.

* Bongo Bash 2013.
:wink:
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:07 am

Bongo History Lesson: With Neil.

* Leuchars (including the famous grouse distillery).

* Edinburgh

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:43 am

I'm liking the panda :D

When I say take belts, alternator & brake pads I mean brake pads if you haven't changed them in yonks, abroad any garage can fit them if you need. As for belts or alternator, they're not an uncommon failure and if they do go you're completely stuck. Your charge light will come on as a warning but because your water-pump won't be turning if the belts have gone or the alternator pulley sheared off then you can't even run the engine. But a roadside breakdown mechanic could get you back on the road in a few minutes with the right parts :wink:

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”