Attaching an awning to the Bongo

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Spencer54
Bongolier

Attaching an awning to the Bongo

Post by Spencer54 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Hope you can help.

Ian sorted us out with a Cayman Momentum - which was a bargain!
So for a test fly we nipped to the site at Folkestone and put the awning through its paces.
Basically to see what we need for a bigger jaunt, what works and what didn't.

First thing was attaching the awning, now I thought figure of eight, then I thought I'll ask on here as someone no doubt has found great solution.
So along the rail I could do F8 but what about the sides, it was a tad windy this weekend.

I am chuffed with the awning, it was up in a flash, and the dog enjoyed the shade!
stuc
Supreme Being

Re: Attaching an awning to the Bongo

Post by stuc » Mon May 04, 2015 7:39 pm

What about fastening a proper rail under the AFT like I've done for my caravan store, I was going to try and fasten my driveaway onto it but not done it yet. My awning hasn't got the bead in so need some of that. just got the pole and clamps.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Spencer54
Bongolier

Post by Spencer54 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Proper rail?

When you under the AFT you mean in the fibreglass bit or on the metal roof of the vehicle?

Sounds like the info I wanted!
Filmick
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Filmick » Tue May 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Dear All:

We too had a first outing actually sleeping in our new van and tested out the awning thinking it would be straightforward to attach....

Ours is an Outwell awning with beading along the attachable side. I bought a figure of eight piping and attached it to the guttering of the van... it's now very firmly stuck in place as it is much less flexible than I imagined so will probably only come off by using a crow bar.

Anyway, the first issue was how to feed the beading of the awning into the figure of eight on the van once the awning was erected and pegged down: Judicious maneuvering of the van resulted in quite a loose fit which the flapped noisiuly all night. next morning, driving away was easier; very slowly so the beading could be slipped along and out of the figure of eight. However, returning to the site later and trying to reattach the awning caused much anoyance and frustration! There must be an easier solution? I may just junk the figure of eight and just tie the awning onto the 3 metal D-shaped loops the locks the AFT down.

So my question really is: What does everyone else do... Am I getting it so wrong that it became a major headache? Is there a simple solution to using the figure of eight to attach the beaded edge of the awning?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Tue May 05, 2015 7:18 pm

At various bongo bashes many have had same problem.
Sorted problem for at least 3 peeps.
If your awning has a tube of material at the attachment end after the figure 8 bead.
Thread a piece of steel tube [all came supplied with one in 3 pieces]through this tube.
Put one end in front of the rear roof bracket.
then behind middle roof bracket.
lastly in front of the front roof bracket this
holds it in place.
Now pull awning out until tight and peg out.Mark your wheel position with ribbon pegged
down in case you decide to move bongo.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
Spencer54
Bongolier

Post by Spencer54 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Nope I don't get it, how does the beading on the awning get into the tube? :oops:

I have seen on eBay an aluminium awning rail but I can't see where I'd fit this?

I did indeed just attach mine to the metal loop by the straps and shut the rearmost strap into the tailgate.

Wish I'd asked the other bongo owner there now his was perfectly done using F8!
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Wed May 06, 2015 6:07 am

Its's harder to explain than to do.
Most awnings have a sleeve to put a pole in which tucks behind the roof brackets.
i also rolled a tarp around the pole and tucked that under the 2 outer roof brackets then pushed
it over the middle one to lock it in place.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed May 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Filmic,

Sounds like you could use this..

http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product ... wwodXbYA_Q

Awning beading goes into one side, F8 on van onto the other. To driveaway you simply pull the Kador strip clear, and away you go.

Derek

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”