Fixed my wobbly Window Switch Housing for £2

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

cookan
Bongolier

Fixed my wobbly Window Switch Housing for £2

Post by cookan » Sat May 09, 2015 4:25 pm

I've been thinking about ways to fix that broken drivers window switch housing since I had the Bongo..The retaining tab at the front had broken off like pretty much everyones I've seen...the previous owner just glued it back in but the glue came lose...so I glued it back...and the glue came loose...then I had an idea...

Bought some of these Spring Steel Chasis Clips..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290936774139? ... EBIDX%3AIT

they're 13mm wide, 40mm long, 11m maximum deep maded from 1mm spring steel

Then I opened it up a little so I could get it into the vice..

put in the vice like so...

and bent it back like so..

married it up to the housing..

and cut off the remainder..(you want to leave about 6mm)

back in the vice to straighten it a little..

marry it up and see how it looks..

put a 2.5-3mm hole in it (note the distance of the hole from the edge as it'll foul the lip on the switch mechanism if it's too far from the edge)

and screw it in between the housing and the switch mechanism

you might need to bend it a little to get the fit right (suggest you dismantle to do that as you don't want to exert any more pressure on the housing trying to force it) but once done it'll be good for years !

cheers,
Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Fixed my wobbly Window Switch Housing for £2

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat May 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Neat ..!!

Mine are OK .. but the finger pulls are manky with bits and chips of plastic broken off of the edges .. like most Bongobits greatly over priced for a cheapo plastic molding ..

I have two off these shallow stainless finger pulls coming from China .. there are various styles on eBay .. some with visible .. some with hidden screw fittings .. but most are at £2.99 a pair including the P&P ..

Dunno if it will fit out of the box .. or need 'trimming' (which maybe hard being stainless) but for three quid for two worth a try ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Fixed my wobbly Window Switch Housing for £2

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 09, 2015 5:29 pm

brilliant Cookan. Keep us posted Mike. I love peeps who do stuff like that. Its why I love Bongo more than any old car. Lots of fun fettling and making and mending. =D>

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”