Seeking advice on upgrading Outwell awning to Airbeam?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

BongoGog
Bongonaut

Seeking advice on upgrading Outwell awning to Airbeam?

Post by BongoGog » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 pm

We've had the Outwell country road for 3 years and although we are happy with it the appeal of ease of erection of the Airbeam together with less time is a bit of a no brainer.

We like the size of the country road - but the Vango's Airbeams (seem like the best air frames) have 2 sizes - larger (sapera) or smaller (Kela) than the country road. To add to the confusion there's now versions II of each, with what looks like good improvements eg side door entrance. As there's only 3 of us (1 infant) I'm thinking of going for the Kela II, new at £445 on ebay, compared to Sapera II at £599 - although can get mark I for £525 new!

Does anyone have one of these Airbeams - are you happy with them - good value, enough space in the Kela?

Does anyone have one they want to sell? Or swap with the Country road - comes with carpet and groundsheet.

Thank you,

Bongogog
Rust Never Sleeps!!!
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Re: Seeking advice on upgrading Outwell awning to Airbeam?

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:55 am

Our Kela is perfect for two adults (and one lab). Pricey but highly recommended, not heard a single bad word about them.

Derek
BongoGog
Bongonaut

Post by BongoGog » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks for that Dr Fingers,

Was going for the Kela on ebay, but seller upped the price to £499 - doh!! As you say they ARE pricey!! Umm ...will have to think it over, Id rather spend the money on the holiday..
Rust Never Sleeps!!!
Rocketscientist123
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Rocketscientist123 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:17 pm

I've just bought an Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite 3 awning. It's pretty good. It replaced a Khyam Motordome Classic, which is pretty hard to beat in terms of speed of erection (ahem). The new awning is bigger, for those wet days, and has a sewn in groundsheet. The tunnel to the van is shorter, and is not quite as good a fit as the Khyam, but OK. it's taller than the Khyam, which saves my back. Mine is a 2014 model, bought 2nd hand on Ebay for £400...........
I'd recommend it.
Hope this helps
KMH
Bongonaut

Post by KMH » Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 am

I have just bought one of these:
http://www.capitaloutdoors.co.uk/westfi ... ome-awning
At £329 it is the cheapest inflatable awning I found (I was replacing mine after the mice thought they would move into, i.e. eat, my previous awning over the winter, so I hadn't budgeted for it - ouch!) There was an outwell pitched next to me, and I was envious of it, but then it was considerably more expensive. The material used in the Westfield is more lightweight - but it was stable in the wind (I would recommend the storm poles) kept me dry, easily attached to the bongo with figure of 8, was really quick and easy to put up, and did everything I needed it to do.
I hope you find what you need!
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Sat May 23, 2015 2:28 pm

We had the sapera mk1, absolutely loved it, good size for whole family on wet days. Can't comment on smaller one, sorry. Everything else perfect.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Mark.T
Bongolier

Post by Mark.T » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Rocketscientist123 wrote:I've just bought an Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite 3 awning. It's pretty good. It replaced a Khyam Motordome Classic, which is pretty hard to beat in terms of speed of erection (ahem). The new awning is bigger, for those wet days, and has a sewn in groundsheet. The tunnel to the van is shorter, and is not quite as good a fit as the Khyam, but OK. it's taller than the Khyam, which saves my back. Mine is a 2014 model, bought 2nd hand on Ebay for £400...........
I'd recommend it.
Hope this helps
We have the same one, but I kind of wished that we'd paid the bit extra for the 2015 model. They have a little lip oover the door to stop the water pouring in on wet days.

Apart from that, very nice :)
There's always a 'bigger picture'
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:04 pm

We looked at vango air beam awnings and decided on an Outwell as the Vango's had a sloping door section that would allow rain in when it was opened. We've been very pleased with the Country Road but it is a matter of preference.
1998 green and silver V6 called 'Blossom'
2004 white 2 litre tin top called Buzz.
redz79
Bongonaut

Post by redz79 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi
we have a vango kela II , used it 5 times now, very easy to use, up quick and down quick, its a bit baggy where it meets the bongo , we used the pole fixing method using the lugs under the aft, this takes some of the slack out, I wish it was three feet wider running along the length of the van , it took a real battering at wareham last weekend . very strong wind and rain, no problem , out of 10 I figure its an 8, I would like to try a kyham motordome with rapidex , for a comparison but these don't have a sewn in ground sheet .
rgds Ian
Llawnrocbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Llawnrocbongo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Have purchased recently a Vango Kela 2
Really pleased with it.
Connects easily via figure of 8
So easy to erect 10minutes and it's up another 10 to get all the lines out.
A great but expensive bit of kit.
Would highly recommend

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”