Roof box - which model to go for?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

sotal
Supreme Being

Roof box - which model to go for?

Post by sotal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm after quite a narrow roof box, to go just on the passenger side. I've seen some on here that look quite narrow but when looking online the ones I'm finding seem to be wider.

I was going to go for a narrow one as I read the roof couldn't take too much weight and I should be able to reach the stuff out of a narrow one!

I had looked at the Thule Atlantis 780 - thinking that looked narrow but the specs say it is 78cm wide.

What models have people found fit well on the bongos? How wide are they?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Roof box - which model to go for?

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 pm

I bought a Karrite SportPak Duo as an eBay purchase a few years back. The requirement was as long and thin as possible.

sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I bought a Karrite SportPak Duo as an eBay purchase a few years back. The requirement was as long and thin as possible.
That would be ideal - did it fit straight on or did you need to make any modifications? Do you find it holds enough?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:39 pm

I did have to make a few tweaks. I've got stainless steel roof bars which are made from tubing (about 4cm diameter) so the original clamps were too small and only suited rectangular bars. I got some U-shaped bolts that are large enough to fit around the bars and then had to drill some new holes in the bottom of the box.

If you had rectangular bars you could use the original fittings although you may still need to drill new mounting holes as the spacing may not quite line up.

We don't tend to put loads up there, so it was things like a small electric heater, leveling ramps, groundsheet, etc. One thing to bear in mind with roofboxes is that the contents can get quite cold and damp, so don't stick your sleeping bags and clothes up there :).
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:20 am

Simon Jones wrote:I did have to make a few tweaks. I've got stainless steel roof bars which are made from tubing (about 4cm diameter) so the original clamps were too small and only suited rectangular bars. I got some U-shaped bolts that are large enough to fit around the bars and then had to drill some new holes in the bottom of the box.

If you had rectangular bars you could use the original fittings although you may still need to drill new mounting holes as the spacing may not quite line up.

We don't tend to put loads up there, so it was things like a small electric heater, leveling ramps, groundsheet, etc. One thing to bear in mind with roofboxes is that the contents can get quite cold and damp, so don't stick your sleeping bags and clothes up there :).
Thanks - the roof rack that is fitted is a quite a plain boxy type - possibly square profile tubing in a rectangle shape.

I was planning on keeping the bits that we only need when sleeping in the bongo up there. (Drive away awning, small heater, groundsheet etc)

The only additional thing I could think of putting up there is the bed panels. It looks like they are normally stored behind the row of seats at the back. It consists of 2 bed panels and a frame. The frame should easily go in the roof box, but the panels would need a box big enough and I would be worried about them getting damp so may be better to leave them in the van.

I can then take the whole box off at home and store in the garage and it is ready with the things needed for a weekend away.

These are the bed parts...

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:45 am

You could probably store those mattress panel in the AFT while you're travelling (depending on size and thickness). Don't rule out putting them in the roof box but perhaps consider putting them in something like a bin bag just to ensure they don't get wet. A decent roof box with a good seal ought to be ok, but the foam bits on mine were a bit tired with age so probably need replacing.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Simon Jones wrote:You could probably store those mattress panel in the AFT while you're travelling (depending on size and thickness). Don't rule out putting them in the roof box but perhaps consider putting them in something like a bin bag just to ensure they don't get wet. A decent roof box with a good seal ought to be ok, but the foam bits on mine were a bit tired with age so probably need replacing.
Thanks - so is there a bit of room in the AFT with it down? Ours comes with a mattress for the AFT, so I was figuring once that was in there it would be pretty much full? Is there space for things like sleeping bags (not rolled up) in the aft?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:40 pm

There's a little room up there. We don't have a mattress but keep the silver screens up there with no problems. Main thing is to make sure it doesn't put any strain on the roof or motors when it closes.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks, your roof box looks perfect.

I'm searching at the moment for a second hand one but haven't found one close enough at a reasonable price yet.

I'll keep looking as I'm not desperate until mid July.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Still on the hunt for one like yours but I found a backup plan today.

A local company is selling Thule Karrite Odyssey 360 Roof boxes new for £164.95 which doesn't seem terrible.

The specs are...

External dimensions: 190 x 65 x 41 cm
Volume: 360 Litres
Weight: 12kg
Max load capacity: 50kg
Opens from: side
Fits bars spaced between 700-950mm apart
Fits bars up to: 80mm wide
Colour: silver

Does that sound like it would fit on the top of the bongo?

Still after something cheaper but if I fail to find anything then I may be tempted by this.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Ebay just sent me a 20% off voucher but I have to use it by midnight.

I can get the Odyssey 360 for about £130 brand new using this voucher.

The only thing stopping me is if it will fit or not!

The bongo I'm buying has quite a plain rectangle shaped rack on it. I'm pretty sure it didn't have any additional cross beams.

That unfortunately is the best picture I have of the rack.

Are the bars likely to be less than 950mm apart? I'm guessing they will be a little over that but am I right?

If so I guess the only option would be to weld/bolt one/two cross bars across?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:14 pm

You can buy bars with universal clamps on the ends
Which go inbetween yours across the van
You clamp them on at the distance you need
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”