Camping in France

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Scratch
Bongolier

Camping in France

Post by Scratch » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:56 pm

We are looking to go camping in France in October probably in the Brittany area. Can anybody recommend sites or a good directory?
janie
Bongolier

Re: Camping in France

Post by janie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi,

What kind of star rating are you looking at? - I'd always recommend the Carnac area!
bongowight
Bongonaut

Post by bongowight » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:10 am

camping du letty particularly if you can get a beach front pitch (may be a bit late to get one now)
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:20 am

Carnac area is a great area visited it for twenty odd years ,there's a big site there called the grand meterie ,which is vast but not our scene.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Don't know about Brittany, but lots of French sites in the south, close at the end of September.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:43 pm

It does seem that a lot of sites close at the end of September but I have found a few open in October. It has top be October to fit in with half term. I will have a look at Carnac.
specialagentbird
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by specialagentbird » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:27 pm

we used the ACSI card on our recent European trip, it comes with a paper directory and you can also download all the info via the app (which you can use off-line). All the campsites we used were great and the directory provides details re: opening times
Buglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Buglet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:54 am

Don't know how long you're going to be going through France or how familiar you are with doing so, but most towns somewhere have designated Áires', places set aside (usually free) for motorhomes. You sometimes get electric/water, you sometimes get a corner of a car park, but it means you can saunter to your destination with the theory being that if you spend a bit of cash in the local bars or whatever it's worthwhile for the community to provide the facilities.
I've got a really useful (nut probably now outdated) book that lists them, although since we are now living in the Jet age I'm sure there's some sort of app that'll do the trick :wink:
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:31 am

Aires are great for one or two night stops. Most have a limit of 48 hours.
You will need your own loo facilities at most although quite a few have toilets close by.
Some are grotty, most are OK and some are really nice.

Download them here for sat navs.

http://www.airetoday.co.uk/satnav.html

and here

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francai ... gement.php

Don't be tempted to use the ones on motorways though. They are notorious for attempted break ins.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:31 pm

The ACSI website is brilliant and shows all sites in the area that are open at the time I wish to visit.
Thanks!

Return to “Campsites”