Roof issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Roof issue

Post by cmm303 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:47 pm

bongowight wrote:Gave the runners a little clean and grease up, now taking exactly 30 seconds up and about 15 down, perfect and didn't cost me anything lol thanks for the advice guys
Excellent :D
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:59 am

As a matter of interest what would the experts on here recommend as to how often the roof should be raised to keep it in good form.I have only raised(and lowered of course)mine twice in a year.I have oiled it etc though.
98 4wd
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:46 am

Use it on a regular basis! I.e. weekly or monthly at least, like any mechanical item it works better when used rather than allowing muck and grime to build up on sliding surfaces which then bind or corrode. After all you bought an AFT model rather than a cheaper TinTop presumably because you want the storage or sleeping space. Another aspect is that the material needs airing to keep the dreaded spores at bay, if it gets damp inside due to condensation then if you don't open it for 2-3 months you will have a badly affected case of mould.

So open it up for a few hours at least once a month, else you will end up additional costs either mechanical or cleaning!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:59 pm

g8dhe wrote:Use it on a regular basis! I.e. weekly or monthly at least, like any mechanical item it works better when used rather than allowing muck and grime to build up on sliding surfaces which then bind or corrode. After all you bought an AFT model rather than a cheaper TinTop presumably because you want the storage or sleeping space. Another aspect is that the material needs airing to keep the dreaded spores at bay, if it gets damp inside due to condensation then if you don't open it for 2-3 months you will have a badly affected case of mould.

So open it up for a few hours at least once a month, else you will end up additional costs either mechanical or cleaning!
Will do! Thanks for that 8)
98 4wd
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:22 pm

bongowight wrote:Gave the runners a little clean and grease up, now taking exactly 30 seconds up and about 15 down, perfect and didn't cost me anything lol thanks for the advice guys

20 seconds UP.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... ilit=beeps
bongowight
Bongonaut

Post by bongowight » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Gutted, had the roof working fine in the week, gave the runners a clean and grease and the roof was going up in a reasonable time, went camping Saturday night and couldn't get the roof fully open! It goes all the way up till the roof alarm stops but the second you let go of the switch it starts beeping again, then when you push the switch back in it just keeps whirring but never locks into place ! Literally have had the van for 6 weeks waiting for the roof to be fixed and as soon as it does something else obviously now wrong! What a disaster was so fed up with it ! Any ideas what could be wrong with it this time?
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 pm

If it keeps whirring then something is slipping. Either a motor, or its worm drive.

Mine doesn't stop beeping but it stops whirring. It can't quite reach the point where the microswitch is hit and the beeping stops. Doesn't make any odds though , and means it can come down without having to press the roof switch. I can make it stop beeping by manually pushing the roof up the last few mm but I don't bother.

Like I said though, there is no whirring. Your roof motor assembly needs looking at. They may have not screwed one of the motors back on properly .
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Could be the gas struts have lost the pressure and can't take the weight ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongowight
Bongonaut

Post by bongowight » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Dodgey wrote:If it keeps whirring then something is slipping. Either a motor, or its worm drive.

Mine doesn't stop beeping but it stops whirring. It can't quite reach the point where the microswitch is hit and the beeping stops. Doesn't make any odds though , and means it can come down without having to press the roof switch. I can make it stop beeping by manually pushing the roof up the last few mm but I don't bother.

Like I said though, there is no whirring. Your roof motor assembly needs looking at. They may have not screwed one of the motors back on properly .
Ok will get them to have another look at it this week, do you just turn the key off then and leave the roof almost up if that makes sense? Presumably with the engine off and key out the alarm stops?
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:34 pm

bongowight wrote:
Dodgey wrote:If it keeps whirring then something is slipping. Either a motor, or its worm drive.

Ok will get them to have another look at it this week, do you just turn the key off then and leave the roof almost up if that makes sense? Presumably with the engine off and key out the alarm stops?
Exactly.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
TheStinkyHippy
Bongolier

Post by TheStinkyHippy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:52 am

I'm no expert.. but I do live in the Cowes area. If you ever need any help or another Bongo owner to compare bits with, give me a shout.

Return to “Techie Stuff”