Is there any way to use the tiny disposable gas canisters?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

sotal
Supreme Being

Is there any way to use the tiny disposable gas canisters?

Post by sotal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Is there any way to use the tiny disposable gas canisters in the Bongo?

We currently have a 907 bottle. The Bongo has a regulator to match this. We also have a camping stove which we use outside, again this has a regulator for the 907 bottle.

It was a little bit of a pain to keep swapping them over. We don't use the Bongo hob much - the odd cup of tea etc. Most of the cooking is done on the camping stove.

It would be useful to have more than one supply ready for when the 907 bottle runs out but also so we can boil a kettle whilst cooking, or use 3 pans at once etc.

I also notice that the disposable canisters actually work out cheaper than the 907s!

I can buy the 250gram disposable campingaz cylinders for £1 each. 11 of those will give me 2.75kg for £11. The 907 bottle has 2.75kg of gas but costs me £22 to fill :(

Any way back to my question - any way to use these with the Bongo 2 burner hob?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Is there any way to use the tiny disposable gas canister

Post by Gasy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:14 am

I'm sure they do a connector for those little canisters to connect to a gas hose
Check flea bay
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:07 am

Is there such a thing as a "Bongo" 2 burner hob?

Doesn't that depend on who converted it?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 am

Just a generic 2 burner hob with orange flexible hose and currently a 901/904/907 regulator.

I've looked for adapters but can't find one at all for these.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I'd be surprised if there is such an adapter but a visit to your local Calor Gas centre (who are Camping Gaz stockists) will clarify.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:58 pm

jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:06 pm

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:06 pm

jimmo62 wrote:But also read this first...
http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.co. ... rning.html
V useful reading =D>

The solution should be simple though: the can needs a holder that either keeps it standing upright or (as when it is being used with those cheap little cookers) lying on its side with the notch pointing upwards, and unable to roll. Either could be easily DIYed for use in a campervan.

There is one other caution about this idea. The latent heat of evaporation cools the contents of any container where gas is being evaporated and drawn off. This results in the liquid gas in the container becoming colder and less willing to evaporate. I have had had those big yellow flames coming out of my single burner/small canister for no more than trying to use it outside on a cold April day i.e. the device/gas did not like being cold. If one of these small containers is used to drive a 2 ring burner, you should remember:

1) The cooling effect of the latent heating of evaporation will be greater on the smaller contents of the little canister compared with a bigger bottle and its heavy (i.e. high thermal capacity) steel walled bottle

2) If you draw gas for 2 burners, you will be cooling the contents twice as fast.

Taking those two together, you might find that (in all but the hottest of weather) things go pear shaped and big yellow flames appear from the burner(s). The consequences of this could be a lot more serious inside a Bongo than if that were to happen outdoors. It would be VERY SENSIBLE to conduct experiments outside of the Bongo in a range of ambient temperatures/conditions/2 ring burner exercises. Even then, I'd be very wary. :roll:
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:14 pm

If you mean the ones held in by a lever
I doubt you can get a connector for those ones

How much cooking do you do
A £13 bottle in my caravan 3.9kg will last me about 5 weeks of cooking breakfast and dinner, hot water

If you mean the threaded ones Jimmo has found the link for you
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Gasy wrote:If you mean the ones held in by a lever
I doubt you can get a connector for those ones

How much cooking do you do
A £13 bottle in my caravan 3.9kg will last me about 5 weeks of cooking breakfast and dinner, hot water

If you mean the threaded ones Jimmo has found the link for you
You're so right. Admittedly I'm an occasional camper but one bottle has lasted me years on my camping two ring burner and grille. And I have two small briefcase ones for those light use moments :-)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:50 pm

I might swap back to the calor bottles.

I'm undecided as to what to do at the moment!

We used about 1kg of gas over 2 weeks away.

The 907 costs a small fortune to fill with 2.75kg of gas. I imagine though that 3 or 4 bottles a year will do us.

I currently have...

2 x Calor small bottles - both empty.
1 x 907 bottle with ~500g left in it.

I have the camping stove currently fitted with a 907 regulator and the Bongo with a 907 regulator.

I must have 1 or 2 calor regulators somewhere!

Disadvantages with the Calor are that the bottles are physically bigger so take more room up in the cupboard - doubt I could carry 2 with me. Also swapping the bottle requires a spanner.

Disadvantages with 907s are the gas is more expensive. Also I really need to buy another bottle. I would prefer to have 2, partly for contingency but also so we can use both stoves at once.

I think the 907s are £22 to fill and I'd need a minimum of 3 fills per year = £66/year. The Calor are £13 a fill and I'd only need 2 fills - so £26 a year. £40 difference! Having said that - when you take in to account the fuel bill of moving the Bongo around, £40 is fairly insignificant!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”