Caravanstore zip sides and front

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

cazzyblues
Bongolier

Caravanstore zip sides and front

Post by cazzyblues » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi,
I have the chance to buy a caravanstore awning (bag type). It comes with sides and front but they are for a caravanstore zip. Do any of you know if the caravanstore zip sides and front fit the basic caravanstore? Also would a simple figure of eight be adequate to fit caravanstore to Bongo?
Cazzy
Art of Wax ( Facebook page)
"Art is a pigment of your imagination". (Darcy Gerdes)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Caravanstore zip sides and front

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:03 pm

cazzyblues wrote:Hi,
I have the chance to buy a caravanstore awning (bag type). It comes with sides and front but they are for a caravanstore zip. Do any of you know if the caravanstore zip sides and front fit the basic caravanstore? Also would a simple figure of eight be adequate to fit caravanstore to Bongo?
I have a caravanstore and it can be used with my continuous 2.4m length of figure 8 permanently mounted on the Bongo. However, its bag fouls the opening of the doors a little, and I'm not sure I would trust the plastic fig8 channel to retain it when travelling unless a means of strapping the bag to the Bongo could be devised. I got around all this by making a mountain rail that bolts into the AFT roof bar threaded inserts. A better method, done by Crazy Uncle G years back on his Bongo I think, involves hiding a mounting under the AFT.

Can't advise about the zipping sides I'm afraid.
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi, Thanks for info. I actually bought my first caravanstore with the rail from Crazy Uncle G. Unfortunatley I wrote the Bongo off in an accident and didn't think to recover the rail or awning. It may have been bent anyway as it was pretty bad accident but only me hurt no-one else ....phew. I got off lightly with a shattered shoulder which is now almost as good as it was. I think the Bongo saved my life as it is so well built. Crazy Uncle G also fitted the rail and awning for me when I went to collect. I didn't realise then how lucky I was to get that rail.
Soooo anyway figure of eight ok but not to leave on when moving.
Cazzy
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:39 pm

cazzyblues wrote:Hi, Thanks for info. I actually bought my first caravanstore with the rail from Crazy Uncle G. Unfortunatley I wrote the Bongo off in an accident and didn't think to recover the rail or awning. It may have been bent anyway as it was pretty bad accident but only me hurt no-one else ....phew. I got off lightly with a shattered shoulder which is now almost as good as it was. I think the Bongo saved my life as it is so well built. Crazy Uncle G also fitted the rail and awning for me when I went to collect. I didn't realise then how lucky I was to get that rail.
Soooo anyway figure of eight ok but not to leave on when moving.
Blimey, hadn't realised that! I think plastic fig8 would no ok if bag strapped but rain gutter still carries it too low. Could be worth drilling and fitting aluminium channel under AFT as some others have done - v elegant solution if done properly.
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:04 pm

:D Thanks again. Caz
Cazzy
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:50 am

Saw the pics of your bent Bongo, Cazz.

By crikey you were lucky that day.
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi Bob, Was I lucky indeed. Some wondered if it would put me off buying another Bongo but it is quite the opposite and I now have another yay. Many a time I think how lucky was I. Big smiles. :D
Cazzy
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:40 am

I've had my rail fitted under the AFT on both Bongos for 4 years now. I have put up pictures in the past, but will take some more later hopefully. It's nice and neat and means no one can slide the awning off and have it away when it's parked up.
I have the front and sides to make a room but I had to modify the sides to fit as they angled to cope with the extra height of a caravan. Bongo is much lower.
My sides have a pocket into which you slide a pole which you then tension against the bag inner and the outer cartridge. Don't use the sides much though.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks Stuc. I have decided against the caravanstore with the sides although it was a good price it was too far away to view and I was a little confused as the sides were for a caravanstore zip well at least the instructions in photo appeared to be for the zip caravanstore although the awning was the basic caravanstore. I am still after an awning rail as I would like that sorted before I buy the caravanstore.

Which awning rail did you go for Stuc? Would be good to see the pics.
Caz
Cazzy
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:22 pm

I just went to my local motorhome supplier/fixer who gave me 2 off cuts, one I used on my last van, one on this one. About 2.5m long I think.
If you have a commercial vehicle repairer nearby they sometimes use the rails for curtain side vans/trucks as well, they might have offcuts.
It's aluminium rail with holes already in to screw through.

Regards
Stu
Do what you like.Like what you do.
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks Stu I will bare that in mind. Caz
Cazzy

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”