Alpro Loopo awning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

red999doc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Alpro Loopo awning

Post by red999doc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi, I see that BongoFury sells the Alpro Loopo awning so I have bought one for camping in the Bongo next week,.

I see that some use people Figure of 8 to attach to side of the Bongo but others say it won't come off afterwards?

Will the Alpro Loopo open end feed into the Figure of 8 or do I need a pole to feed into the edge of the awning first? How do you drive away and back into position with or without Figure of 8 tubing? It all seems difficult?

Any help gratefully received. #-o
2.5 TD Bongo 'W', unconverted, 8 seats, elevating roof
Nogob
Bongonaut

Re: Alpro Loopo awning

Post by Nogob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi, I use a Figure of 8 Awning Strip. This is essentially a narrow length of fabric one side of which slides in to a Figure of 8 channel(s) attached to the van and the other sides into another Figure of 8 Channel(s) that runs the length of your awning. That way, whenever you drive off, you just remove the fabric strip and reattach when you arrive back. Works like a dream. Check out http://camperessentials.co.uk/shop/figure-of-8/ for a photo that explains it all far better than I've attempted to do!

I should add, I don't have an Alpro Loopo, looking at it I'm sure it would suit a Figure of 8 connection but I'd check, perhaps with the Bongo Shop?, before buying.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:32 pm

The awning slides into the figure of 8
You then clip the fig of 8 over / onto the bongo gutter
Some have there fig of 8 in 3 peaces
Some have there fig of 8 in 1 peace
Some use a pole with awning wrapped around and put it behind 2 of the roof clips and in front of the other ( under the raised aft roof )
You will fig it out when you get it
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
red999doc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by red999doc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Thank you both. So I have been told the awning will slide into the Figure of 8 and as you both mention the Figure of 8 clips to the van. Nogob mentions having another Figure of 8 and the strip between the one on the Bongo and the one attached to the awning. If I don't do this is driving away a problem?
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:11 pm

red999doc wrote:Thank you both. So I have been told the awning will slide into the Figure of 8 and as you both mention the Figure of 8 clips to the van. Nogob mentions having another Figure of 8 and the strip between the one on the Bongo and the one attached to the awning. If I don't do this is driving away a problem?
Hi :D

Get yourself two lots of the Figure of 8 - one for the van and one for the awning. Look on Amazon/eBay/Gumtree or local caravan/camping accessory stockists and get one Keder strip. This is basically a filler strip about 50mm wide that connects the Figure of 8 on the van to the Figure of 8 on the awning. Easily cut to length and easy to use - when on site, simply pull it out, store in the awning or van, secure the awning and drive away. When you get back, park alongside the awning in roughly the same spot and slide the Keder back in. We've found that it's easier to slacken the opposite end guy ropes first and retension after....

Easy peasy, lemon squeezee :lol: :lol:
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
KMH
Bongonaut

Post by KMH » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi, you shouldn't have any problem detaching the figure of 8 strip from your van, I just pop mine on to the guttering, and then pop it off to drive away. Sometimes it can be a bit stiff to pull off, but it is a really simple and effective system so don't be anxious about it.
Mine is in three pieces, and I have learnt to slide it off the awning if it is more than a bit breezy, as it can blow around and slide off, and then you have to play hunt the strip when you get back!
Before you drive away, just check some markers (trees or whatever else is around your pitch) to the front and side of your van so you have something to aim for when you drive back in. Again, it's easier than you think to park up in the right spot next to your awning.
Have a great trip, and enjoy your new awning!
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:08 am

I can't really comment on your issue as I have just bought figure 8, but I'd really appreciate your feedback on the awning. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and used it last weekend. I am very disappointed with the quality and that they did not think through small things, like where the inner tent is placed for example. So I am just curious whether it is me being unfortunate with my particular awning or me being too fussy or it is an overall issue with Loopo.
red999doc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by red999doc » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi Ignis. We found no problem with the awning. It was watertight, didn't blow away and fitted using figure of 8 to the guttering. Next time I will tale bungees or clips for the elasticated edges as I really needed to attach these to the wheels for extra security.

The inner tent was fine on the left as you open the door. We used the right hand side to walk in and left the inner tent to the left. If you wanted a full front opening then the inner tent would be in the way. We exited on the same right hand side and then via a door mat we entered the Bongo.

The sliding door did tend to catch the edge of the awning when opening but with care this could be avoided.

We did notice the ground sheet was too large and we folded the edges back otherwise water would have dripped onto it from the edge of the canvas when it rained. I also thought the gap from edge of canvas to ground was quite wide.

Overall we were very happy.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:57 am

If the awning has the option of a pole instead I would recommend this on the Bongo.

It is quicker to remove and refit
It is more secure
It gives move headroom
It reduces the amount of puddling on the tunnel section
It reduces the risk of damaging any paintwork
It is usually cheaper as the awnings tend to come with the pole but not the figure of 8 channel

The pole slides into a pocket on the end of ours, we then feed it around the hooks once the AFT is raised. If there is chance of heavy winds then we also put a clip on each end hook to ensure it won't come off. It is a much neater solution than the figure of 8.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”