A sad bongo farewell.....

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

dunslair
Supreme Being

A sad bongo farewell.....

Post by dunslair » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:11 am

After seven and a half years of Bongo ownership, we have finally taken the painful decision to sell up, and the bongo is on the for sale page here (white AFT 2003). When we bought the van back in 2008 my daughter was 9. She is now about to turn 17 and will soon be learning to drive herself. With that in mind and the wish to buy a 'little car' which the kids can be insured on, the Bongo will need to go. :( We have had a blast over the years, loads of brilliant family camping trips, with the highlights being The Outer Hebrides, Cornwall and Fontainbleau. The van has been used for climbing trips, mountain biking trips, trips to the beach, to Ikea and just fancied a drive trips. We have been to various Scottish Bongo Bashes over the years, to Glencoe meets and to day meets and led out the 2013 Forth Road Bridge cavalcade (Jim's lament still rings in my ears). We have met some lovely folks over the years and enjoyed the great sense of community with fellow Bongonaughts. The forum has been a great place for chat and information, and I suspect I will lurk a bit in the future! I type this with a little lump in my thought, when I think back to all the happy family camping memories we have shared as the kids have grown up, but hopefully the van will go to somebody who will get as much pleasure as we have from it.
Thanks for all the support over the years folks. Happy Bongoing...

All the best

David
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: A sad bongo farewell.....

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:36 am

Oh Goodness. :shock:

What a wrench, really sorry to hear Bongy is up for adoption, but I can understand the reasons - we all have to go forward.

As we always say at these sad times do call in here and at Meets whenever you want, you can take the man out of the Bongo but you can't take the Bongo out of the man.

I'm sure your Bongo will find nice new people.
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:10 pm

Please continue to lurk David......I do....lol!
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:41 am

Hi
Deep sorrow!!!...at least you won't have to go to Ikea any more :lol: :lol: :lol: ...., but as said...please lurk!!!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:42 pm

End of an era to see you go David but life moves on. I tried very hard to look at Bongo replacements on Autotrader last week but nothing appealed. So instead I drove over to Barnsley to meet Kloonsy (Dave) this morning to talk about spending a wodge on getting the bodywork smart ready for when i retire and want to go touring.

Good luck with future plans, and keep in touch. 8)
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Mon May 02, 2016 8:21 am

Thanks for the kind words folks (and congratulations on Grandpa-hood Dabs!) The bongo would be a great retirement vehicle Mike. Very useful for fetching and carrying when you do all those jobs about the place you have been putting off!! (you don't honestly think you will just be able to drive off into the sunset do you? :lol: ) I think you should definitely plan a trip to Bulgaria via Bob!!
Just trying to get my head around how to do camping trips now. Its amazing how much stuff I had stashed in the Bongo for cooking etc. Must have a look at trailer pods..... In the meantime we just need to find a buyer.

All the best

David.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 02, 2016 8:51 am

Those camping pods look great, or most cars can pull an Eriba. :D

Mike, just let me know if we're on the 'Great Retirement Tour'. A warm welcome assured. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 am

Bob wrote:Those camping pods look great, or most cars can pull an Eriba. :D

Mike, just let me know if we're on the 'Great Retirement Tour'. A warm welcome assured. :D
You're defo on the itinerary Bob :-) Us Bongonuts gotta stick together :lol:
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Mon May 02, 2016 10:58 am

Yep we are definitely a fan of the Eriba! Really well planned out and not too big for towing / parking and storing. But for now I think we need to look for something the kids can learn on. Just another exciting stage in their growing up!

Cheers David.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 02, 2016 2:16 pm

dunslair wrote:Yep we are definitely a fan of the Eriba! Really well planned out and not too big for towing / parking and storing. But for now I think we need to look for something the kids can learn on. Just another exciting stage in their growing up!

Cheers David.
Definitely. Passing the driving test for an Eriba doesn't qualify you to drive a small car unfortunately :lol:
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue May 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Recently sold my bongo and eriba David, miss them both especially the bongo, however I am enjoying the comforts of the motorhome, best wishes for the future and if you don't buy another bongo, get yourself an eriba. :D

Jim....
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed May 04, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks Jim. Great to see you are enjoying your new motor home. We will be sad to see the Bongo go, but we have had fun with it.

All the Best

David.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Mon May 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Well that's the Bongo sold now. Hope the new owners have as much fun as we did over the years. At least we know we can hire one from our friends who run a Bongo hire business when we get withdrawal symptoms. Happy Bongo-in everyone!!

All the best

David.

Return to “Bongo Chat”