fav camping food

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Whatersname
Bongonaut

fav camping food

Post by Whatersname » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:25 am

I haven't been camping in about 10 years since I used to go with ex. We used to survive on cider, fags, coffee and corned beef butties :lol: :lol:

In 2 weeks I will be heading off my hubby and the kids - luckily no one is a fussy eater but I am at a loss to what to feed everyone. We have a hob with 2 burners, a fridge and a small cannister suitcase burner. And We have a grill but it doesn't have a door.

So does any have any easy family favourites? Also does anyone have any recommendations for pans, folding camper chairs, sleeping bags and how to fit it all in! I have a folding table with separate stools. I also have our old memory foam mattress topper that I was going to cut down for levelling out the contours on the seats and softening up the roof bed.

Next year I will look into a gas bbq but I have a disposable to use for the moment.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: fav camping food

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:42 am

Get youself a Ridgemonkey toaster, you won't look back. :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jwwcanQzrkw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCanQ7OA4PQ
Whatersname
Bongonaut

Post by Whatersname » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:52 am

I saw that on my trawl through the forum I LOVE toasties. You could really let your creativity show.ummm
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:06 am

You can cook pretty much anything in one. :D

Top scoff and very little gas. :D
Whatersname
Bongonaut

Post by Whatersname » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 am

Ordered. :D :D =D>
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:35 am

As to meals Chilli Con Carne & boil in the bag rice and Spaghetti Bolognese are a couple of favourites, if you don't have a fridge then canned mince and onion is acceptable.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:39 am

Keep some long-life essentials in the van for when you can't get fresh supplies, things like Spam, Pot Noodles, jars of Bockwürsts etc.

A small barbecue is a good laugh even in the rain, there are a fair few ideas HERE which we've mostly done on a very small bbq that fits under the rear seats. But not when lit....

Also if you're feeling adventurous, there are some ideas HERE we did a few years back when I was bored with cheese salad sandwiches for lunch at work. One or two of the links may be dead now but most should work. I was particularly proud of the Wienerschnitzel :lol:
Whatersname
Bongonaut

Post by Whatersname » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Really want a cobb or cadac now. We saw a cadac at go outdoors loved it but the Cobb sounds amazing. This is turning into an expensive hobby :lol: will be using a disposable BBQ for now until my numbers come in!
Whatersname
Bongonaut

Post by Whatersname » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:57 pm

Just looked at every pic yummy no need to be worried about just eating sarnies and burgers. Yum glad dinner is on

Return to “Bongo Chat”