Advice on buying my first Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Brendanp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Advice on buying my first Bongo

Post by Brendanp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a small, reasonably priced camper to take my 2 children on lots of adventures in. The Bongo looks ideal!

What sort of price would I pay for a one with a decent conversion and in good nick?

Also any advice on where to source one or what I should look for if buying privately? I am based in Swindon.

Thanks,
Bren
Tertiary
Bongolier

Re: Advice on buying my first Bongo

Post by Tertiary » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Welcome Bren :D

I think you're ideally placed to have a first look, to just get the feel of a Bongo - google Premier Bongo's, I'm sure they're based in Swindon so not far for you to travel and they have a good reputation but obviously a dealer with all that that entails...

You will need to do LOTS of research before you commit to anything so you can get a feel for exactly what sort of vehicle, conversion (or not) and condition you are willing to pay for...

You're in the right place for information, help and advice =D>

Edit
I've just googled them and they don't have any on the web at the moment but definitely still worth talking to them... 321Away at Reading always have a good selection too.

*Be VERY wary of certain Bristol based dealers!!*
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
Brendanp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brendanp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks so much, Paul. I didn't realise there was a Bongo dealer in Swindon! I'll keep speak to them.

I was actually looking at a couple in Bristol. Maybe I'll steer clear then. Thanks for the heads up!!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 am

If you have not already done so, it is worth checking out this FAQ with several links relating to buying a Bongo.
It is right to be warned to about a particularly dubious seller (appearing as many sellers unfortunately) in Bristol however it does not account for all Bongos sold in the Bristol area. If you are in any doubt, Bristol or elsewhere, you can always pop the details on this forum and those with a keen nose for the Arfur Bongo Dailey usually chirp up.

Sage advice about viewing a few to get an idea of what conversion will work for you. So many options across a wide budget spectrum. Key with families is usually to ensure the right number of 3 point seat belts on proper seats.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Brendanp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brendanp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks, Chris, very much appreciated
Brendanp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brendanp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Is there a better time of the year to buy a Bongo e.g. will I get more bang per buck by buying in the winter (like a convertible car)? Just a thought as summer will be over soon...
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Brendanp wrote:Is there a better time of the year to buy a Bongo e.g. will I get more bang per buck by buying in the winter (like a convertible car)? Just a thought as summer will be over soon...
I certainly found this the case 3 yrs ago. The majority of "holiday bongos" will be tucked away by November. Good unconverted ones picked up late winter, earlier than expected, as they are bought ahead of the season for conversion.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”