first trip out in new bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Whatersname
Bongonaut

first trip out in new bongo

Post by Whatersname » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:33 pm

First trip to local beach and I have learnt a few things. I have ordered a solar shower as I can't think of any other way to stop bingo bongo becoming a mobile sandbox!

I must remember to take plates duh. So what was going to be salad and burgers ended up just burgers. I need to learn how to cooker on a single burner, burgers were crispy and def not raw in the middle, pan I cooked them in May not be savable however.

Need to spend more than 10 mins chucking in a random selection of things that might be useful whilst trying to entertain 2 small children iinquisitive in a confined space.

Need to find a home for all the other stuff I have so that I don't trip over it when coming home with 2 tired and grumpy children.

Does anyone have any tips on how to pack efficiently and make it less of a hassle, gratefully received.
nicxf
Bongolier

Re: first trip out in new bongo

Post by nicxf » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:58 pm

If unconverted, get some plastic boxes (or make some if you're handy like that) which will fit under the seats. There's a surprising amount of stuff you can store under there. :) I got some under bed boxes from B&Q that fit perfectly under the sliding seat.
Also plenty room for a box in the back - I had my portaloo behind the back seat before I got my conversion done.
I also discovered the hard way that it's a good idea to pack stuff so it's easy to take out in the order you'll want to use it - don't bury bits you might use more frequently underneath stuff you hardly ever use! :lol:
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Whatersname wrote:First trip to local beach and I have learnt a few things. I have ordered a solar shower as I can't think of any other way to stop bingo bongo becoming a mobile sandbox!

I must remember to take plates duh. So what was going to be salad and burgers ended up just burgers. I need to learn how to cooker on a single burner, burgers were crispy and def not raw in the middle, pan I cooked them in May not be savable however.

Need to spend more than 10 mins chucking in a random selection of things that might be useful whilst trying to entertain 2 small children iinquisitive in a confined space.

Need to find a home for all the other stuff I have so that I don't trip over it when coming home with 2 tired and grumpy children.

Does anyone have any tips on how to pack efficiently and make it less of a hassle, gratefully received.
Nowt to do with packing,but for cooking on a single burner,look at one of these and watch the utube videos.......impressive

Google "ridgemonkey sandwich toaster" and "ridgemonkey deepfill xl"

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Whatersname
Bongonaut

Post by Whatersname » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks Brian I already have one of those in order hoping it comes in time for our weekend away.

This weekend will be having a root around the garage to find all storage boxes and get everything out and have a trial packing run. Mother here and hubby off so I can palm kids off on them and do it in peace. I might just close the doors of the bongo put the blinds down and sit quietly with a book - it will take them a couple of hrs to suss lol.

Thanks
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 am

Travel light. We started taking far too much gear and I think your best plan is to go away a few times and then empty the van, and consider amongst the vast pile of stuff on the garage floor, what you really needed and what you could have done without. You'll be surprised how little you really need when it comes to the crunch. Plus, in most places you go, even Scotland, they do have shops :wink:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:29 am

Lists lists lists in the first year!

It is all too easy to end up catering for every eventuality but Bongo is too small for that. Thinking simple definitely leads to less faff and stress, though this does need buy-in (and maybe a bit of compromise :) ) from everybody!! We have a "core" of stuff which stays put and have been really disciplined about keeping this to a minimum. So to camp for a weekend on an equipped site we just fill up the fresh water, pack the cool box, a small bag each and shoes/boots. Taking hobby or sports stuff (e.g. cycling or surfing) does put packing into another gear because even if the bikes/boards are on the back/top there is all the extra clothes, helmets, fettling gear etc etc. Fine for a one-site type stop but for example we decided not to take bikes when touring Scotland though we would have liked to - our compromise for an easier life.

Plastic boxes under seats are invaluable. I also have a couple in the back (unconverted) for lesser used things and chairs and tables etc are stored on top. Bongo's height is a friend!

On the single burner cooking front, we ditched the frying pan in favour of a middle-sized flat bottomed aluminium non-stick Wok. A travesty in Wok terms, but such a flexible and efficient cooking utensil and always easy to clean!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”