Newbie - so many questions

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

alant54
Tribal Elder

Re: Newbie - so many questions

Post by alant54 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:31 am

Sorry Bob...I did not see your post before mine... #-o ...I did not hijack your great idea but it shows that great minds think alike.... :D ...and I'll mention fools before you do... :lol:

Mine is a gunmetal grey without a name.....maybe I should call it Dumbo.... :lol:

Alan

Coat on and gone... :oops:
Alan...still plodding on....!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 am

Don't worry a bit Alan, Great Minds was my thought, too. :lol:

Ours is black and called Fedinand de Bongo after the old BBC 2 series 'The Staggreing Stories of Ferdinand de Bargos'.

It was old film with a new commentary, bloomin' hilarious.

Market day in Nailsea now, so where's me coat? :lol:
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:40 pm

I am thinking of trying to start a bottom drawer, so to speak, of essential stuff we will need to make our trips go smoothly. Has anyone any tips. We would like a pop up awning of some description - any suggestions? I also noted from the photographs that the camper van we have reserved seems to have curtains. Does this mean it won't have blinds and what are the thermal covers everyone talks about for the windows, and where do I get these from. Sorry the questions are coming thick and fast again :lol:
Gill
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Quinny wrote:I am thinking of trying to start a bottom drawer, so to speak, of essential stuff we will need to make our trips go smoothly. Has anyone any tips. We would like a pop up awning of some description - any suggestions? I also noted from the photographs that the camper van we have reserved seems to have curtains. Does this mean it won't have blinds and what are the thermal covers everyone talks about for the windows, and where do I get these from. Sorry the questions are coming thick and fast again :lol:
All Bongos have pull down blinds as fas as i'm aware, but not all have the electric motorised ones that are especially convenient. There are various places to buy thermal covers i think, they attach to the inside of windows with sucks and provide insulation and blackout. Have search on google. I'll let others give their thoughts on the bottom drawer list and its worth also searching old posts maybe using words like 'essential'.
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Gill...the screens you asked about are sold in the Bongo shop as privacy screens...silvered on the out side to keep out the sun and insulated on the inside to keep in the warmth.....we had the full set of these for our last Bongo but I sold them at the Bash at a giveaway price as I never expected to own another Bongo... :oops:

They are great for comfort and privacy and keep the Bongo very cosy if you are camping in the colder weather... =D>

As you can see from my avatar we camped in November and woke up to 4" of snow in the morning and didn't even know.. :shock:

They are rather expensive at £280.00 for the full set for non-members but well worth it if you plan to camp in Winter on pub car parks... :lol:

there are cheaper versions to be had so may be well worth a search on EvilBay

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Curtains only come for the Rear door, divide the mid cabin from the front cabin or round the front window screen as standard, the side windows have blinds either electric or manual.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Thank you for all for the information. I will definitely look at the privacy screens as they sound like an excellent idea. I'm glad to hear we will also have blinds of some sort and so the curtains will just be an added bonus. Yes they are definitely on the back door and between the drivers/passengers seats and the rest of the cab so will be useful. I have just joined the membership so will have a look in the shop at other things for sale. I notice there is an pop awning on there. Is that the sort that members on here use?
Gill
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Call a company called Van X in Stoke. I got mine from there last year for £40 for the set (slight seconds). They fit the bill perfectly and are a hell of a lot cheaper than some sellers.
I don't have the number - look them up on Google. You will have to phone them up and ask if they have some in stock. They deliver next day for a fiver and very quickly too.

Hope this helps.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 pm

George217 wrote:Call a company called Van X in Stoke. I got mine from there last year for £40 for the set (slight seconds). They fit the bill perfectly and are a hell of a lot cheaper than some sellers.
I don't have the number - look them up on Google. You will have to phone them up and ask if they have some in stock. They deliver next day for a fiver and very quickly too.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information I will definitely do that tomorrow as that seems a very reasonable price.
Gill
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Quinny wrote:
George217 wrote:Call a company called Van X in Stoke. I got mine from there last year for £40 for the set (slight seconds). They fit the bill perfectly and are a hell of a lot cheaper than some sellers.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information I will definitely do that tomorrow as that seems a very reasonable price.
Just looked at their site now. They have set of 4 for £66.00 so will definitely speak to them tomorrow.
Gill
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Remember you really need some for the 4 side windows as well as a cab set and tailgate window one. The standard blinds neither insulate nor give blackout
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:03 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Remember you really need some for the 4 side windows as well as a cab set and tailgate window one. The standard blinds neither insulate nor give blackout

Ok right, I wonder if they do a full set and if so how much.i will have to ask them tomorrow. If not I will just order off here.
Gill
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Not tried them myself but...
Talking to a couple VW owners :shock: who where using external drivers cab insulation and they reckon it is more effective than the internally fixed ones and the other benefit was the door windows can be opened for ventilation should you wish. Not sure if they are available for the Bongo though.

Like these;
http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/images/VanC ... ed_000.JPG
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Bongolia wrote:Not tried them myself but...
Talking to a couple VW owners :shock: who where using external drivers cab insulation and they reckon it is more effective than the internally fixed ones and the other benefit was the door windows can be opened for ventilation should you wish. Not sure if they are available for the Bongo though.

Like these;
http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/images/VanC ... ed_000.JPG
Thank you I will check this one out as well.
Gill
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:12 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Remember you really need some for the 4 side windows as well as a cab set and tailgate window one. The standard blinds neither insulate nor give blackout

Mike, my 4 side windows have dark tints plus factory fit electric blinds. Why would you need additional? I've just got the 4 piece set for windscreen, driver and passenger sides plus rear. They do the job perfectly. Is there a different model with no tints?
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.

Return to “Bongo Chat”