Rear arch rust.. where on the arch typically ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Rear arch rust.. where on the arch typically ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 am

Prudent points as always Mike.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:27 pm

So thought I would drop in on this old post. Found some pitting on vertical section on front of rear arch, that which is parallel with tyre tread surface/inner arch. Seems Waxoyl, the waxy parafin variant (at least seems to contain parafin by the smell of it) can speed up break down underseal.... saw it flaky in one section and I wire brushed it all off and there is some slight pitting on the surface there so that is getting sorted now. Bongo rust checking is a 365 day a year affair ! Spotted yesterday, sorting today and tomorrow with free hours.

Run out of POR15 but have plenty of black Hammerite. So wire brushed, degreased and now drying. Kurust next, 3 layer Hammerite and then probably either buy one can of underseal to blob on top. I shall keep the Waxoyl application strictly to arch lips where I have a thick layer of wax in place doing its job.

Got to keep on top of this even in dry warm weather. That would would be a hole in 18 months I bet !

Keep checking your Bongo and looking for rust and my advice don't ignore it, however annoying it is.. or leave it, be strong/brave and screw driver it or wire brush it and find out what is what (The Truth) before it does become a hole ! It is the only way to deal with rust if you don't want a welded patch or panel or even bigger bills.

So far my vigilence has paid off very well. Only 1x 2 inch by 4 inch patch on a 23 year old van on a sill and that is holding up very well after POR15ing it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Its an ongoing battle and for me the limiting factors are my ageing body and an increasing desire to make use of the decreasing number of fair weather days to get out and enjoy using the Bongo rather than need it always to have rust not showing on the arches. So, towards end of summer, i'll get the toffee wheel etc out and start taking off paint and fibreglass etc to see how much the rusting has progressed before neutralising what i can and redoing cosmetic work. Any structural rust gets done in the run up to MOT. But, over 12 years and despite an initial expensive dinitrol treatment and reasonable DIY aftercare, i've had to have plenty of (top quality) welding done over the years. There are very few genuinely rust free old Bongos (would be buyers please note) but with realistic budgeting, and proper inspection and welding, rust is not a death sentence either!

And these are great cars - well worth the investment in my opinion. 8)
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Tue May 08, 2018 1:46 pm

after crush I cut "rear cave" - many rust only! befor Image
now Image Image Image Image
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Serious work..man, that is a total rebuild !!!! Yes not quite that severe here as far as the eye can tell. Glad I am on top of this now. Degreasing is a right pig of a job.. difficult to get old waxoyl etc/grease/grime off so the Kurust will do its work. Did not have isopropyl so resorted to using clothes washing liquid (degreases pretty well as it is super detergent) and a wire brush and hot water spray. Took much longer than expected. Out of Isopropyl alocohol which is not cheap to be splashing around the place.
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Tue May 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 pm

cutlass wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:32 pm use lokker https://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/vie ... 5&start=30
What are lokkers? Are they steel or plastic?
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 am

Return to “Techie Stuff”