Loom switch over nonsense!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

callum
Bongolier

Loom switch over nonsense!

Post by callum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:09 pm

Hi folks.
Yesterday my wife left the the stereo on when she parked up meaning the battery had gone flat. A bit of an annoyance, but hey ho.
On my old Bongo i fitted a loom swap and then removed the stereo feed as it was annoying me having to remember to turn it off when getting out.
The new van already has a loom swap, so i went to remove the wire and replace the fuse, only to find that the interior lights weren't affected by fuse 1.
For some reason, fuse 8 is the wire connected to the interior lights. So they would only go on when the ignition is on, which of course is not ideal.
Had a look behind the fuse box, took the trim off under the steering wheel and can't see anywhere that it would have been spliced in to to swap over.
So what has gone on here? I can't think how it would've found a circuit via the other fuse. I can kind of understand if there was a fault in fuse 1 and it was finding a way through completing the circuit elsewhere. But the stereo memory (permanent live) works on fuse 1 fine, so not really an issue there. I did disconnect the stereo to see if that was causing any issues, but didn't make any difference.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Loom switch over nonsense!

Post by g8dhe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Totally confused by your description!

First the unswitched circuits are on the Red 10 Amp fuse top row left of the fuse box (Don't use numbers they vary depending on year!!!)
This includes the interior cabin lights and the backup circuits for the ECU's and radio.

The top row right fuse 15 Amp Blue supplies the ancillaries, like radio power and sockets.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Yes, i suppose it was a bit wordy :lol:

Top left does indeed still do memory for stereo, but has no bearing on the cabin lights.
Top right does switched stereo, LCA, 12v socket AND interior lights.

I cannot see anywhere obvious that it has been butchered to get the cabin lights coming from the top right. It has puzzled me significantly.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:34 pm

In my time away from Bongo's, i forgot that they have a warning buzzer for lights etc.
Ours doesn't have any beeps, but funnily i was routing around in the footwells earlier and saw a blue unit was unplugged, left it as i had no idea what it was and i didn't want to distracted.
Anyway, turns out it is the buzzer. Could that be why the lights aren't working? Is it wired through that unit? At work now so can't test it! Clutching at straws!
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:03 am

Just reconnected the buzzer, incase it had any bearing on the interior light, no luck unfortunately.
Any ideas?! :(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am

Do you have a remote fob and immobiliser ? Some of them also intercept the internal lights and pulse the cabin lights on when remotely operated. This is an option on the Bongo (AFAIK) I have the option on mine but not sure how common it is, its also not shown on the diagrams. However on mine its still fed from the same top row left unswitched supply.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Figured it out!
Had another gander under the dash and found that a relay had been spliced in to the lighting system. I can't explain why. Anyhow, removed the relay and put it back to standard and voila, it worked as intended. It had the switched relay wire coming off the number 8 fuse, hence why it was working off of this, and therefore ignition.

So now that works and all is well.
Also found the customory central locking wire was knackered, hence why it wasn't working. I soldered that back together and have a loom wire set up from Karl on its way, which i will do as and when another wire goes.

So a good bit of progress.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:56 pm

Great news. =D>

Info is always useful for the future. 8)
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Oh, lights on warning buzzer isn't working. Key in ignition etc buzzer is working. The door switch is working to turn the interior light on, so what next?!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 am

Check the individual wires going into the connector for the sound warning system they often get deliberately cut by owners who don't like beeps (I just can't get my head around that quite common problem!) The Red/White wire handles all the doors.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”