Has anybody installed a noisekiller soundproofing kit?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

nfn

Post by nfn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm considering installing a soundproofing kit for my Bongo. It is made by noisekiller.co.uk, and they have a kit specifically for the Bongo. Has anybody on this forum bought one of these? -- I'm curious as to whether the centre bit between the front seats with the AT gear shifter has to be removed to install the 'engine blanket' part of the kit (which looks like it would be a pain to do). I'm also curious about whether the engine blanket would create a build-up of heat under it. The blanket is lead sandwiched between layers of acoustic foam.

In my opinion, the Bongo is fairly quiet for a van -- but watching DVDs or listening to music without turning the volume up quite high at 60+ mph is more difficult than it was in the cars that we've owned. I know I shouldn't be watching DVDs while at the wheel but...

Anyhow, I'd appreciate forum readers' views on the merits of Bongo soundproofing.
Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:58 pm

Funny you should say - I was looking with interest at their stand yesterday at the NEC - seems like a great idea, and I think I may well go with a kit - couldn't believe they catered for Bongos - there really must be getting popular.

I also asked them about heat retaining kits or material for putting under the interior panels, stuck to the metal sides. They said they can supply a needle-woven self-adhesive material called ANG3 - although they couldn't give me any prices for it, as they supply it to motorhome manufacturers - but it sounded ideal for the Bongo.

Mike
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:45 pm

My experience of the Bongo, such as it is, is that wind noise (partly due to the sidescreens I suspect) and road noise esp. over bumps are the main culprits. In the cruise at 60-65mph the engine is surprisingly quiet considering it is situated right under the 2 front seats. What do others think?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:55 pm

I agree Mike - I wouldn't bother with soundproofing. I quite like to hear the engine so that you can hear if something goes wrong, and I don't find mine particularly noisy.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:07 am

I think any soundproofing under the cab is going to be difficult, and as for the back - i'm never there when I am driving so who cares! :lol:
Seriously though, there is merit in insulating the van if you are using it for camping, and there is plenty of space behind the rear panels to give a decent insulating layer.
I was at a show recently talking to a rep from 3M. He was showing me 20mm thick 'thinsulate' as used by many of the big names. Its basically a blanket type material without the itchyness of traditional insulation. The idea is that all the pillars etc are stuffed with the offcuts so there is little waste and good overall insulation.
Not sure how easy it would be to do the front door panels without affecting the windows, but sure its possible.
Incidentally there is a post on the vw forum, they recon that just waxoiling a panel does quite a bit for sound deadening.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:34 am

I lined the side panels and door skins with 3M bitumen adhesive pads.
They stop the panels from "drumming"
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Just had this email from Noise Killer :-

Hi Mike

Mazda Bongo Kit £190 inc vat. Uk carriage £9

I have attached the fitting guide so you can see what the kit covers

ANG3 material is £8.23 (inc vat) per linear metre at 1.37 wide

Kind Regards
Debbie

and the fitting guide :-

Mazda Bongo

Contents of the full kit 10 items, 4 door pads and an engine blanket

Items marked with an * are self-adhesive and should be applied to a clean and dry surface only. We recommend the use of a small roller to apply even pressure.

Engine Bay
1-3 * These items adhere to the bonnet lid

Interior Cab

4 & 5* Lift up the front seats and adhere these pieces, 4 to the drivers side, 5 to the passengers side

Attach the engine blanket across the top of the engine using the cable ties supplied

6 & 7 Remove the carpet kick strips by the door sills and lift the carpets to gain access to the footwells. Place these items under the carpets in the drivers side footwells. Item 6 to the footwell and item 7 along side the transmission tunnel
8 Fit this piece to the top of the transmission tunnel
9 & 10 Follow the same procedure as for 6 & 7 but fit these items to the passengers side. 9 to the footwell, 10 next to the transmission tunnel

Pads
Fit two pads to the outer skin of each door after removing the trim

YOUR FITTING IS NOW COMPLETE
Curator of the Bridgwater Motorbike Collection

trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:45 pm

I had a kit from these people in my first Landie which had a very noisy 200TDi engine and was basically a commercial vehicle with no carpets at all.

Made a huge difference. But I can't see the need in a bongo, really - I guess you can always make a quiet vehicle a bit quieter. Diminishing returns, I would say.
nfn

Post by nfn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:06 pm

I agree that the Bongo is relatively quiet, but my 6 year-old doesn't think so when sitting in the middle row. It may be that she has much better hearing --I knew I shouldn't have gone to that Motorhead concert...

Noisekiller quoted me £175 plus £9 shipping (or 'carriage', as they called it -- from this I assume the kit will arrive in a horse-drawn carriage, a very quiet one). I wonder why they have two prices for the Bongo kit?

The fact that noisekiller even make a kit for the Bongo surprised me also -- it suggests some demand.
Yamaha
Bongolier

Re: Has anybody installed a noisekiller soundproofing kit?

Post by Yamaha » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:00 pm

nfn wrote: Noisekiller quoted me £175 plus £9 shipping (or 'carriage', as they called it -- from this I assume the kit will arrive in a horse-drawn carriage, a very quiet one). I wonder why they have two prices for the Bongo kit?
When was that quote?

Mike
Curator of the Bridgwater Motorbike Collection

nfn

Post by nfn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:40 pm

I got the quote on Monday -- and just as I was posting my last message a few hours ago, I got an e-mail from Noisekiller apologising for giving me an incorrect quote -- it is £190.
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Thats a lot of money to insulate around the engine - it does sod all behind the engine, so your 6 year old will still moan, just that you will be able to hear him better !:lol: .
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Buy some earplugs - cheap as chips :lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”