Temp gauge/heating/fan problems

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBunch
Junior Bongonaut

Temp gauge/heating/fan problems

Post by BongoBunch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi all, first post on here. I have bought a 2l Petrol Aero 2004 automatic as a fresh import and having a few issues and I am looking for some advice, please?

1. My temp gauge does not work, it sits far left and I can travel 100 miles up hills and nothing, then on very rare occasions, it will move to the first bar. The dealers auto electrician has been out twice and fitted a new sensor but still does not work. Today did 50 miles and nothing.

2. My heaters even on 32 never get hot, at best slightly warmed air blows through but that's it? The electrician has checked this too but still not working. I have vacuumed the little vent near the glove box and no improvement. Does anyone get hot? Any idea what the issue could be?

3. When I turn the ignition on and leave it ticking over every now and then the fan under the bonnet clicks on for a bit then clicks off again and repeats a few minutes later. I'm thinking this is normal but with other stuff going on I'm a bit paranoid!

I have emailed the dealer again and still just within my 30 days of purchase and so far he has sorted other stuff with no quibble but I just don't want to get fobbed off over the temp gauge and the cold heating so any info I can find on these would be much appreciated.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Temp gauge/heating/fan problems

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi, and welcome.

I wonder if the thermostat has been removed?

The 2 ltr is a pretty robust engine, and I can't think why this would have been done, but the symptoms fit.
BongoBunch
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBunch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Thanks Bob :)

It does work on occasions but only goes to the first marker.

I will ask the dealer if that's the case it sounds shady surely?
BongoBunch
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBunch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:26 pm

....would this affect both the temp gauge and my blow heaters?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Yes, as the heating comes from the engine coolant, and if the thermostat is removed the engine never gets up to the right temperature!
Its a "common" fix on the diesels to hide the fact that the engine is overheating :-( But it can also be just a stuck open thermostat with no bad intentions!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBunch
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBunch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 pm Yes, as the heating comes from the engine coolant, and if the thermostat is removed the engine never gets up to the right temperature!
Its a "common" fix on the diesels to hide the fact that the engine is overheating :-( But it can also be just a stuck open thermostat with no bad intentions!
Thanks Geoff.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 pm

Yep, and not a big deal to fit a new 'stat on the 2 ltr, as it doesn't need the (pain in the a**=) bleed process. 8)
BongoBunch
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBunch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:04 pm

Bob wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 pm Yep, and not a big deal to fit a new 'stat on the 2 ltr, as it doesn't need the (pain in the a**=) bleed process. 8)
Phew, thanks. Will sleep tonight!
BongoBunch
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBunch » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 am

Just had an email from the dealer and he says that it's normal in colder conditions for the needle not to move at all? He said has been electronically tested and is working fine? I told him I drove 50 miles and its didn't move and he said I would have to drive a lot further for it to move??

Does this sound right?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:36 am

No.

Sounds like male bovine waste to me.

It's not even really cold just now. :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:42 am

Utter rubbish, the needle on all Bongo's will move up to the 11:00 position within 2-4 miles about 10 minutes driving.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:54 am

BongoBunch wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 am Just had an email from the dealer and he says that it's normal in colder conditions for the needle not to move at all? He said has been electronically tested and is working fine? I told him I drove 50 miles and its didn't move and he said I would have to drive a lot further for it to move??

Does this sound right?
The dealer is probably correct in this instance, but that is not the problem , the problem is the engine is not getting to operating temperature when it should. This is bread and butter stuff for any mechanic, why did they send an electrician out .It looks like they have not fully understood your complaint or they dont know how the cooling system functions ,and again they might be fobbing you off till the guarantee has run out. Keep your e mails from the dealer.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:53 pm

When you start it up from cold check hoses as it’s warming up normally the heater hoses should warm up pretty quickly and if the hose coming from thermostat warms up at A similar rate then it’s either missing or jammed
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 am

For the price of a thermostat I'd just replace it, even if it means paying another garage.

If it cures the problem, well and good, and if it's been removed to hide something more serious that will likely show before your warranty runs out.

I'd use a genuine one for the very small premium. :wink:
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 am

Bob wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 am For the price of a thermostat I'd just replace it, even if it means paying another garage.

If it cures the problem, well and good, and if it's been removed to hide something more serious that will likely show before your warranty runs out.

I'd use a genuine one for the very small premium. :wink:

Personally I would not touch anything , the dealer could use this against you and void the guarantee, its the dealers problem.

Return to “Techie Stuff”