Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the split middle sit to the back of the van to create more room.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Richandpip2005
Apprentice Bongonaut

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the split middle sit to the back of the van to create more room.

Post by Richandpip2005 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi I want to move the middle seats further back to create more space. The van is 2001. Has full length runners. There isn't a third row of seats. Also will they clear the wheel arches? I have read the posts on moving seats, but none specific to this. :/
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the split middle sit to the back of the van to create more room.

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Hi. :)

If the seat won't slide back as far as you want it might be worth obtaining a 'third row' seat, and swapping them.

I guess that would go right back, but mine has the 'gull wings' and short runners so I can't say for certain. :wink:
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the split middle sit to the back of the van to create more room.

Post by Doone » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:48 pm

If there's a 'stop' on the runner, it will stop you sliding the seat further. Lift the little lever on the (drivers side) front of the seat, to slide it further back.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:24 am

That would make sense, stop the kids accidentally moving the seat backwards and crushing their siblings legs.
Richandpip2005
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Richandpip2005 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks for your help. I'm presuming the seat would roll all the way back with the full length runners when I lift the stopper? There is no factory modification to stop it otherwise? That is great help. BTW. Is there a rock and roll bed producer/ manufacturer/ supplier that anyone could recommend that would be compliant with all regs? I have a 2001 y plate. I am in North Yorkshire.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:51 am

I think New Dawn Conversions make r&r beds for the Bongo? Also some of those made for the VW also fit, depending on the layout of your conversion.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services

Return to “Techie Stuff”