Convert Bongo to Electric Vehicle

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongoju
Apprentice Bongonaut

Convert Bongo to Electric Vehicle

Post by bongoju » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:32 am

Hi All

Would it be possible to convert a Bongo to EV?

With more towns and cities planning to introduce ULEZones across the UK and the UK's 2030 ban on new petrol and diesel-only car, this would be something to consider if we want to continue using our amazing vans.

Has anyone done it? I would be interested in case possible and not ridiculous expensive. I guess the main problem is weight as the impression I get is that bongos are heavy.
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Convert Bongo to Electric Vehicle

Post by sotal » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:17 am

I would say, yes it is possible.

However I would say it wasn't worth it.

They are becoming an old vehicle and what is killing them now is rust.

You'd have to have a mint, rust free donor to start, which would be expensive in itself. 2WD would be simpler and would save on weight.

The motor itself takes nowhere near as much space as the engine, gearbox and fuel tank. So all that space could be filled with battery packs.

It would cost thousands and thousands.

I would suggest that it would be massively cheaper to pay the daily charges, or to have the bongo for rare journeys and to get a small electric car as an additional vehicle.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:25 am

Totally agree!
Anything is possible, but the question is will it be economic or just a hobby project.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:51 pm

bongoju wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:32 am Hi All

Would it be possible to convert a Bongo to EV?

With more towns and cities planning to introduce ULEZones across the UK and the UK's 2030 ban on new petrol and diesel-only car, this would be something to consider if we want to continue using our amazing vans.

Has anyone done it? I would be interested in case possible and not ridiculous expensive. I guess the main problem is weight as the impression I get is that bongos are heavy.

Would this be a better option ???

https://www.soguard.uk/hydrogen-vehicle-conversion
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:43 pm

Hydrogen sounds nice but how is the hydrogen going to be produced there is blue and green hydrogen see https://www.atco.com/content/dam/web/pr ... -types.pdf
which ever way is used it still requires energy to produce, currently neither wind or solar power is produced in adequate quantities to make it seriously viable, which leaves blue hydrogen which requires energy to create the heat to convert the feed gas ...... so your back to square one.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Rickster
Bongonaut

Post by Rickster » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:40 am

I love the electric conversion idea, sadly it ain't cheap🙁
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:15 pm

I read in a recent Camping and Caravanning magazine that LEVC who make the electric black taxicabs have brought out an MPV version suitable for camper conversion.

It is boxy and utilitarian in appearance, which is not something I have any problem with. Sadly, despite being British built, it would appear to have cack handed european lighting and wiper controls in deference to the majority of mugs who have come to accept the layout as normal. Otherwise I could be interested.

Not sure what the range of them is but as there are plenty of the taxis around they should have good provenance.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Techie Stuff”