Blown radiator(?) far from home - v6 stuck in switz

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

moesymoe
Junior Bongonaut

Blown radiator(?) far from home - v6 stuck in switz

Post by moesymoe » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi folks,

Well we tried to dispel the ghosts of our last European misadventure two years ago (unbelievably frustrating hall sensor issue) but unfortunately have ended up on the side of the road yet again.

Good news is the issue appears to be (hopefully) more straightforward and radiator related.

Bad news is that we are very far from home in the Swiss Alps, just outside Interlaken with a ferry scheduled from Cherbourg next Friday. No mechanics open today but have found a promising Mazda mechanic 20km down the road and plan to get towed there when they open tomorrow.

How it happened:
After climbing a steepish hill for ~15 minutes, using a combination of S and S-hold, came to a rest for a few mins, idling in gear, when I started again, radiator seemed to pack it in with steam and coolant gushing everywhere, coming out through the front grill around the mazda logo. I assume the standstill was not good after the low gear high revs (3k) for an extended period.
After letting it cool down, tried to top up with water to locate the leak. Seems to be coming out from the top left section of the radiator between the half tube along the top and the rad itself, with a steady stream running out of it underneath, even when cold. Can't tell if there are more places leaking. Been sitting overnight and still seems to be slow dripping this morning.

Questions:

Issue diagnosis - My guess is that the radiator is done and must be replaced given the amount of fluid that has come out. Would this sound right? Anything else I can do to further investigate/verify the issue or is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Driving - I assume that driving is out of the question given the risk of overheating. Is it possible to limp 1-2 km at low revs once it doesn't come up to temp?

Towing - I assume flatbed is reqd? If not available, can it be drag towed and if so, how best to minimise damage given rwd? E.g leave in neutral?

Parts - Any recommendations for a Bongo stockist that ships fast to Europe/Switzerland? I've used Bongospares in the past to Ireland.

Mechanic - Any simple advice I can try to give the Swiss mechanic to make sure the system is bled correctly? I'll try show the video but will try to explain with simple translated instructions of the instructions found here.
https://bongobuddy.co.uk/coolant-bleeding/

Thanks in advance for any and all comments received.

Cheers from switz
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Blown radiator(?) far from home - v6 stuck in switz

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:14 pm

Yes the seal has gone at the top of the radiator, the plastic half round is held in place by crimped over lugs, they fail and let the coolant leak out from the top. New radiator required, not too difficult to fit at all, then refill, bleed and you on your way again. Your problem might be in getting the radiator itself as it has a gearbox oil cooler at the bottom as well.
Need to crimp the rubber sections of the oil cooler feeds, to avoid losing too much Dexron III from the gearbox as well.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Blown radiator(?) far from home - v6 stuck in switz

Post by teenmal » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:06 am

moesymoe wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:39 pm Hi folks,

Well we tried to dispel the ghosts of our last European misadventure two years ago (unbelievably frustrating hall sensor issue) but unfortunately have ended up on the side of the road yet again.

Good news is the issue appears to be (hopefully) more straightforward and radiator related.

Bad news is that we are very far from home in the Swiss Alps, just outside Interlaken with a ferry scheduled from Cherbourg next Friday. No mechanics open today but have found a promising Mazda mechanic 20km down the road and plan to get towed there when they open tomorrow.

How it happened:
After climbing a steepish hill for ~15 minutes, using a combination of S and S-hold, came to a rest for a few mins, idling in gear, when I started again, radiator seemed to pack it in with steam and coolant gushing everywhere, coming out through the front grill around the mazda logo. I assume the standstill was not good after the low gear high revs (3k) for an extended period.
After letting it cool down, tried to top up with water to locate the leak. Seems to be coming out from the top left section of the radiator between the half tube along the top and the rad itself, with a steady stream running out of it underneath, even when cold. Can't tell if there are more places leaking. Been sitting overnight and still seems to be slow dripping this morning.

Questions:

Issue diagnosis - My guess is that the radiator is done and must be replaced given the amount of fluid that has come out. Would this sound right? Anything else I can do to further investigate/verify the issue or is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Driving - I assume that driving is out of the question given the risk of overheating. Is it possible to limp 1-2 km at low revs once it doesn't come up to temp?

Towing - I assume flatbed is reqd? If not available, can it be drag towed and if so, how best to minimise damage given rwd? E.g leave in neutral?

Parts - Any recommendations for a Bongo stockist that ships fast to Europe/Switzerland? I've used Bongospares in the past to Ireland.

Mechanic - Any simple advice I can try to give the Swiss mechanic to make sure the system is bled correctly? I'll try show the video but will try to explain with simple translated instructions of the instructions found here.
https://bongobuddy.co.uk/coolant-bleeding/

Thanks in advance for any and all comments received.

Cheers from switz

If you are replacing the radiator, it is advisable to renew the pressure relief cap on the expansion tank and the radiator. Also investigate into why this has happened. Good luck.

Return to “Techie Stuff”