2.0 Bongo struggling to start in rain

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

2.0 Bongo struggling to start in rain

Post by MaxRay » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:52 am

Hi guys,

I've hunted the forum high and low and although found similar problems, can't find the exact same issue I'm having.

2.0 petrol model. A few weeks ago it had rained heavily and went to start it up but just turned over and over...wouldn't fire. After about 30 seconds to a minute it slowly splutters and eventually starts. This now happens every time it rains.

Under the bonnet there seems to be a lot of water over battery, engine, electronics after heavy rain so the rain water is obviously getting in somehow. Drainage hole is unlocked and the bonnet seals seem ok. Any ideas?! Are there other drainage holes or gulleys that I should check?

Many thanks in advance
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: 2.0 Bongo struggling to start in rain

Post by Bob » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:08 pm

Worth checking the inside of the distributor cap is dry. [-o<
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:17 pm

Bob wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:08 pm Worth checking the inside of the distributor cap is dry. [-o<
Thanks Bob, how do I access that on the 2.0? Bonnet, passenger or driver seat?!
Debs and David
Tribal Elder

Post by Debs and David » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:36 pm

Dizzy under passenger seat also check drain hole at bottom of windscreen is not blocked , lift bonnet to see its like a gutter and overflows when blocked Dave
Debs & David

You Need Degas to Make De Van Gogh
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:09 am

Ok so checked distributor...dry as a bone. Had already cleared the drainage hole under bonnet but I've actually cleaned the gutter now as well as was mucky so may have been stopping it drain properly. Damp morning and rained a bit last night but started first time today?!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:12 am

Fingers crossed. 8)
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:49 pm

If it continues to have issues starting, replacing the distributor cap, rota arm, leads and plug’s should help. There’s two types of distributor, a 4 wire and a 5 wire and you’ll see what yours is just by looking at it. Once fitted quick spray with ignition sealer.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:11 pm

Well I thought the problem has ceased but did it again today! It had whole new distributor, leads etc a few years back. I jetwashed it a few days back and started fine next morning! It seems to be really specific conditions where it struggles. Damp and rain and cold combined!
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:59 pm

Its worth going over all the electrical connectors checking for green stuff(corrosion) spray with WD40 then plug and unplug a few times to clean them up, then I put a smear of vaseline on each before plugging them back together, check battery leads are tight as well as any earth leads you can find especially those on the starter motor.

I tend to do this on all vehicles I buy as I'm pretty hopeless with electrics but get few problems once this is done. The vehicles are old so you get niggles, the battery could also be on its way out and though it'll turn over the starter it might just not be going fast enough, this happens on my motorcycle every 3-5 years and happens pretty suddenly, one day great starter the next its chugging and if I check it with the meter it'll be 12.3 and the bike needs around 12.7v for it to start on the button.
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:02 pm

Still doing it but seems to be completely random. Heavy rain one day...starts first time. Heavy rain the next day...takes about a minute of turning over, stop, turning over, stop..and eventually fires. Noticed today as well that once it started it did 'choke' a few times when pulling away from lights but didn't stall. Which seems to point towards a distributor problem but I only had it and all the leads etc replaced a few years ago?!
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:54 pm

Start her up when it’s dark, if you have any damaged leads you can sometimes see a spark across to an earth (engine block). Don’t put your hands near anything just observe.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:08 pm

Also helps to spray - a little - water from a fine spray into the general area, not to flood the area just to help represent what happens when driving with a very fine mist of moisture.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:59 am

TheLongRoad wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:54 pm Start her up when it’s dark, if you have any damaged leads you can sometimes see a spark across to an earth (engine block). Don’t put your hands near anything just observe.
Thank you, where would I be looking for the spark? Under the bonnet or under passenger seat near the distributor etc? It still does it! It only has to be a bit damp in the air and it seems to struggle.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:10 am

Yes start under the passenger seat and follow all the HT leads from the Ignition coil to distributor then the HT leads to each plug.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”