Coolant bleeding

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

trikeboiler
Bongonaut

Coolant bleeding

Post by trikeboiler » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:59 am

Hi all, just a quick question, is there a self bleed kit on the market so I can bleed the coolant on my own. Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant bleeding

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:47 pm

There is a kit that uses the same idea as the 2l petrol version with an additional feed from the engine outlet then across to the normally blanked off cap on the top left of the de-gassing tank - be aware this ONLY bypasses the pipe that has to dip down under the firewall, which can also trap air. It does not appear to have much effect on removing air/gas trapped within the engine itself.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
trikeboiler
Bongonaut

Post by trikeboiler » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:25 pm

Ok, thanks for the info, looks like the wife will be on top up duty, cheers.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:51 pm

trikeboiler wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:59 am Hi all, just a quick question, is there a self bleed kit on the market so I can bleed the coolant on my own. Thanks
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... storefront
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:23 pm

Looks interesting, anyone got info on how good this is?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:31 pm

It seems to work for those that have never had a problem, however there are a few responses on FB that show it doesn't work for everyone.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:46 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:31 pm It seems to work for those that have never had a problem, however there are a few responses on FB that show it doesn't work for everyone.
Trying to get my head round this one.

Does that mean if you don't have a problem bleeding the system it will do the job, but if you have a problem bleeding the system it will not do the job.

I have never fitted or used one of these kits so cant comment, do you recon they have a design fault or basically the auld fav "snake oil" :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:32 pm

For those that have added it to working vehicles and who have not reported any previous problems with bleeding, then it seems to go in quite happily and they don't seem to have problems.
A couple of people who in the past had vehicles and had problems with bleeding, seem to have installed it, and still seem to continue to have problems bleeding the engines.
I had a long exchange some time ago with the designer, but could not get any useful information on how it could help bleed the engine.
I then had two private messages from well known mechanics who also had certain un-answered queries .....
I have no intention of adding it to my V6 as without understanding how it works to get air out of the engine it seems a lot of work and expense to just bleed the air out of the pipe that dives under the firewall alone .....
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:34 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:32 pm For those that have added it to working vehicles and who have not reported any previous problems with bleeding, then it seems to go in quite happily and they don't seem to have problems.
A couple of people who in the past had vehicles and had problems with bleeding, seem to have installed it, and still seem to continue to have problems bleeding the engines.
I had a long exchange some time ago with the designer, but could not get any useful information on how it could help bleed the engine.
I then had two private messages from well known mechanics who also had certain un-answered queries .....
I have no intention of adding it to my V6 as without understanding how it works to get air out of the engine it seems a lot of work and expense to just bleed the air out of the pipe that dives under the firewall alone .....
Fair comment, what baffles me is to fit this mod one would normally drain and perhaps flush the cooling system . After mod fitted and cooling system refilled it should self bleed , if not its not doing its job. Have you heard of any reports of this happening , or did it get the thumbs up.There will be the occasion when the engine gas a gas leak to water jacket scenario .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:56 pm

One of the problems is that many people have added it as a precaution rather than to fix a known problem with there engine. As has been pointed out here in the past not every vehicle has an engine air bleeding problem, it may well come down to how well the coolant has been maintained in the past and how choked up the coolant pipes within the engine galleries have become.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:53 pm

Very good points.

Also, maybe sometimes a case of 'If all else fails, read the instructions'.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:44 am

g8dhe wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:56 pm One of the problems is that many people have added it as a precaution rather than to fix a known problem with there engine. As has been pointed out here in the past not every vehicle has an engine air bleeding problem, it may well come down to how well the coolant has been maintained in the past and how choked up the coolant pipes within the engine galleries have become.

Are you saying ,if the cooling system on a 2.5 engine vehicle is maintained properly they will in fact self bleed?. I have watched videos on the forum demonstrating how to bleed a 2.5 vehicle , personally I found these videos to look very dangerous . Would it be possible for you to contact the Inventor of this kit find out if they are intending making it fit for purpose, as you will agree this would be very beneficial to members and the NHS .

Regards
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:54 am

Not sure that you can say that they will self-bleed, but following the Mazda instructions when filling seems to work for a lot of people, certainly when I had a split top hose on a V6 that was the only procedure we used, hang-up the bleed pipe to the mirror and then fill and run the engine.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:07 pm

g8dhe wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:54 am Not sure that you can say that they will self-bleed, but following the Mazda instructions when filling seems to work for a lot of people, certainly when I had a split top hose on a V6 that was the only procedure we used, hang-up the bleed pipe to the mirror and then fill and run the engine.
Don't fancy hanging the bleed pipe to the mirror , is that not a wee bitty dangerous .?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:10 pm

Well what do you suggest then ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”