A few bits on the Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

A few bits on the Bongo

Post by sotal » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:40 pm

Ashamedly we've really not used the bongo for the last year or so.

The MOT ran out in December and I was to busy to sort it, the Bongo had only done a few miles in the 12 months prior to tha to and has done nothing since December.

It started straight up which is a good start. I had a quick check round and found that the hand brake didn't work. I used the in car adjuster and made it hold on the slope on our drive.
Took it for the MOT which was also my test drive.

On the way I found that the accelerator isn't returning as well as it should. Stopping at a junction it will often hover at 1300 rpm and then slowly return down to idle speed. You can see the pedal slowly returning. It even stick at about 2500rpm at one point, booking my toes under and pulling returned it to normal.

When I got to the MOT station I pushed and pulled the pedal up and down with the engine off, it was slow to return. However it was never mentioned in the MOT. Is there anything to lube up here to improve this?

The MOT itself went reasonably well considering. It failed on the parking brake being below efficiency. So I'll strip the drums down for a look. It also failed on the washer pump not working, so one to investigate there.

On returning home the key wouldn't remove from the barrel. Pulling the cable/rod down under the front right of the gear selector releases it but now it doesn't seem to want to do it by itself. I've tried a few times since and each time I've had to manually pull it down to release the key. Again is there anything to lube up here?

Not disastrous though considering
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: A few bits on the Bongo

Post by sotal » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:39 pm

Washer pump was easy enough, just tapped the washer pump a few times whilst my lad pulled the stalk.

Brakes next, so it can go for its retest, then sort the other bits along with some bodywork.
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: A few bits on the Bongo

Post by sotal » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:36 pm

Taken the rear wheels off to look at the hand brake. On the offside shoes, one of the bent metal springs has lost its springiness, the pin through it has bent and the longer coil spring below has misshapen and fallen off.

Anyone know somewhere where you can get these spring bits from without purchasing new shoes?

Return to “Techie Stuff”