Radiator replacement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Radiator replacement

Post by Eratosthenes » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:03 pm

Continuing from my previous post "LCA saved the day".
I have looked at the fact sheet and read as much as I can find about carrying out the radiator replacement and felt pretty confident to do this this so purchased a radiator and engine hoses. Probably overthinking the job now and have read about bolts breaking when removing the bottom cover. Does this happen frequently? Starting to get cold feet now as I have never removed a broken bolt before and don't have the necessary tools or knowledge. Any tips for carrying this out would be appreciated. (using plus gas or giving bolts a sharp tap). The hose clips are probably originals so may need replacing. I have read about the pros and cons of jubilee clips and would appreciate any comments about using them.
Could not have happened at a worse time as the master cylinder on the wifes car (Suzuki Alto) has failed, Suzuki has discontinued the part and no body has one.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Radiator replacement

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:43 pm

Broken bolts are normally only associated with the suspension systems, can't recall anyone having problems removing the under tray itself.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:43 pm

Thanks Geoff,
Encouraging reply.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:35 am

The bolts that can break are the ones that mount the fans to the rear of the rad. And the ones that mount the brackets carrying the intercooler pipes. Usual amounts of release agent first should do the trick. If they do break they are nothing special to replace so don't worry, give it a go.
Don't forget to get 2 bungs for the end of the gearbox pipes when removed or you will do a gearbox oil change too.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:38 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:35 am The bolts that can break are the ones that mount the fans to the rear of the rad. And the ones that mount the brackets carrying the intercooler pipes. Usual amounts of release agent first should do the trick. If they do break they are nothing special to replace so don't worry, give it a go.
Don't forget to get 2 bungs for the end of the gearbox pipes when removed or you will do a gearbox oil change too.
Thank you for replying.
Tomorrow looks a dryer day to give it a go.
Looking at the radiator bolts, I think I have similar size bolts so I'll check that out before I start and as it is a V6 no intercooler bolts to break.
When I had to bleed the coolant earlier in the year I got a funnel and jug and also a small set of funnels. I think the smaller one will fit the gear box dipstick
if I need to top up the oil.
Appreciate the heads up about the fan mounting bolts - at least if it happens I wont be in panic mode.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:04 pm

Sorry not intercooler, I meant to say gearbox oil pipes, these go into the cooler at the bottom of the coolant rad, sorry for the misleading info.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:23 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:04 pm Sorry not intercooler, I meant to say gearbox oil pipes, these go into the cooler at the bottom of the coolant rad, sorry for the misleading info.
Tied a webcam to a piece of wood and had a look at the bottom of the radiator connections to check radiators match etc.
Keen to get started now although it may be more towards the weekend now.
Thanks again for your comments.

Return to “Techie Stuff”