Dead bongo after battery replacement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BingaBonga
Junior Bongonaut

Dead bongo after battery replacement

Post by BingaBonga » Thu May 04, 2023 1:25 pm

The battery on my bongo died and stopped taking charge.

I replaced it with a S4 029 Bosch Car Battery 12V 95Ah Type 250 S4029

The bongo appeared totally dead!

When removing the old battery, I knocked out the cable connected from one of the terminal cables (the one with the fuses attached) which runs to a relay (which I think feeds the leisure battery).

I reconnected the dislodged cable
I tested the new battery - it has 12.6 volts across its terminals

Still the bongo wont start.

I have an autowatch phob which the red light flashes when I press the disarm button.

Is this an immobiliser issue?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Dead bongo after battery replacement

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 04, 2023 2:18 pm

If you mean the little LED on the fob flashes, then no that is merely the fob sending the signal, it doesn't know what is happening in the vehicle at all, its not a two-way system it sends and hopes the vehicle receiver hears it!

It sounds like a bad connection or blown fuses on the battery arm, possibly even the 100 Amp fuse (its bolted in don't try to prise it out!) may have blown for some reason. Is there any history on the vehicle, has it been out of use or any reason why the battery needed replacing ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BingaBonga
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BingaBonga » Thu May 04, 2023 9:53 pm

The bongo had been on my drive for about 3 months without being driven. Prior to that I used it to commute to work!

Do you have any suggestions on how I could diagnose the issue?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri May 05, 2023 9:22 am

Looks like you might have fitted the wrong battery, check the terminal connections to make sure that they are fitted the correct way round.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 05, 2023 9:35 am

You will need either a meter to check voltages or a simple lamp with leads one to earth and one to probe around the connection arm and its fuses to see which fuse has failed. Have you started by simply looking at the fuses on the battery arm they have a little sight hole to see the fuse although its not always obvious! If it should be the 100 Amp fuse then you need to find out why it blew, normally the alternator diode pack has failed short circuit, as that's the only single circuit that can draw that level of current without leaving a smoke trail!!!! The fuse itself is bolted in from underneath the fuse carrier so it has to be lifted up/turned over to undo the bolts.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
BingaBonga
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BingaBonga » Fri May 05, 2023 12:14 pm

teenmal wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:22 am Looks like you might have fitted the wrong battery, check the terminal connections to make sure that they are fitted the correct way round.
I bought a S4 029 Bosch Car Battery 12V 95Ah Type 250 S4029 which I found recommended on one of the bongo forums. Is this not appropriate?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri May 05, 2023 12:59 pm

BingaBonga wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:14 pm
teenmal wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:22 am Looks like you might have fitted the wrong battery, check the terminal connections to make sure that they are fitted the correct way round.
I bought a S4 029 Bosch Car Battery 12V 95Ah Type 250 S4029 which I found recommended on one of the bongo forums. Is this not appropriate?
The battery for your vehicle is S4335 028 , the battery terminals are in a different positions make sure you have +~+ and neg to neg .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 05, 2023 2:34 pm

Agreed that the 029 fitting is reversed terminals but it shouldn't be possible to reverse the terminals as the connectors are different sizes!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri May 05, 2023 2:44 pm

g8dhe wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:34 pm Agreed that the 029 fitting is reversed terminals but it shouldn't be possible to reverse the terminals as the connectors are different sizes!

Ha ha, stranger things have happened.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 05, 2023 3:17 pm

Indeed, I always remember one that turned up a few years ago at the National Bash, for some weird reason the "garage" they had asked to fit a leisure battery had ended up moving the Starter battery to the nearside position, extending the leads to do so and then fitted the leisure battery in the tray for the starter battery and hadn't connected it to anything!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”