Another MOT passed and hello to old friends

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Another MOT passed and hello to old friends

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:55 pm

I don't post much on BF these days but thought I'd say hi to old friends and let them know I still have my beloved old Bongo and that it has just passed its 16th MOT in my ownership after its usual annual welding holiday. In all the years I've had it, it's never broken down or failed to start except when I flattened the battery when I left the headlights on. And even then a top up from the leisure battery gave enough juice to start it. It's like no other car I've ever had, and far more useful and fun. Her current special duty is ferrying model airplanes around now I've packed up full size gliding and returned to my old hobby.

Mango Bongo is a keeper 👍

Hope everyone is keeping well and best wishes for Christmas and New Year. Oh and the music is going well. Now got 10k listeners on Soundcloud (links in my signature below if interested)

...for anyone who remembers when we used to do gigs at Bongo meets. Happy days.

Mike
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Another MOT passed and hello to old friends

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:25 am

Ww’ve had our Bongo for just over five years. Like yours it has never let us down ( gulp, I’ve said it now). Passed MOT each year without advisories and has this year been treated to new rear arches. Originally used as a weekend vehicle but I prefer driving the Bongo so sold my car. Now my daily runner. Hopefully I’ll get to keep it sixteen years unless ULEZ and fuel prices eventually force me off the road.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:48 am

Hi Mike

Well done to Mango Bongo on the fresh medical certificate. :D

Ours is currently with Bongo Spares for a bit more than the usual MoT welding, but he’s worth it.

Hope Trish is well.

Bob and Sue
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:01 pm

Yup Seasons Greetings one and all ;-)

Been out in Minnie2 today collecting food hampers for the Xmas get together!
Hope everyone's Bongo is doing as well :-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:32 pm

It's good to hear from familiar names and to know your Bongos are still part of the family. 🤗 Allan still has his Bongo pick-up which will soon be having some TLC.
We wish you all the very best the season can bring. 🎄
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:17 pm

Bob wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:48 am Hi Mike

Well done to Mango Bongo on the fresh medical certificate. :D

Ours is currently with Bongo Spares for a bit more than the usual MoT welding, but he’s worth it.

Hope Trish is well.

Bob and Sue
Great to hear from you Bob (and to read all the other replies) and to hear that Bongy is cherished and getting some TLC at Bongo Spares. Trish is well apart from hip issues and were both getting old and crusty ha ha. Maybe in 2023 something won't clash with the Bash and I'll get down to it 🤞Meanwhile hope you and Sue are keeping well and best wishes for Christmas and New Year

Mike & Trish

P.S. packed up real world gliding last year and returned to model flying (Bongo is a great model carrier :-) ). To pass the winter months ive started making YouTube videos of cross country glider flights done in virtual reality (its great there, the sun shines when you want it to and there are no humans ha ha). With your piloting background, they might amuse you on a wet winters day.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHgm ... mox4stqKLR
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:04 pm

Good to hear from you Mike, like you I don’t spend so much time on BF as I used to but I do keep nipping in/out. I remember way back when you were the first Guinea Pig to fit one of our newly developed Low Coolant alarms. Daughter Jo is now running the shop and doing plenty of business with all sorts of vehicles and boats.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:35 am

haydn callow wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:04 pm Good to hear from you Mike, like you I don’t spend so much time on BF as I used to but I do keep nipping in/out. I remember way back when you were the first Guinea Pig to fit one of our newly developed Low Coolant alarms. Daughter Jo is now running the shop and doing plenty of business with all sorts of vehicles and boats.
Great to hear from you Haydn and to know that Jo is running the shop and its going well. You'll be pleased to know that the trial LCA I fitted nearly 17 years ago is still working flawlessly (albeit with the odd unwarranted false alarm chirp but I've come to know its ways by now!) and has saved me a big bill on more than one occasion. There are other imitators out there now but in my opinion the the Haydn Alarm is the original and the best of the types using that technology. Excellent customer service is just a part of what makes it so.

I should visit the BF form more often but Facebook is so much better at keeping you in touch that, after many years of being loyal to BF, the forum has slipped on to the back seat. I wonder too when it might be time to let the Bongo go but to be honest I don't think I could find a better and more reliable car, even though I'm not camping in it these days. Instead, its latest duty is as a model aeroplane transporter which, you won't be too surprised to hear, it does excellently.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WfZeZNmZ638bHxJP6 :P 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:33 pm

Hi Mike

If ever you get tempted to go Bongoless have a sit down in a darkened room and have a drink until common sense returns. 🙂

Return to “Bongo Chat”