Bongo Diagnostics

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Bongo Diagnostics

Post by Kirsty1330 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi, i’m new to all this so apologies if anything’s not quite right.

I now have 2 Bongo’s but unfortunately my newer 2002 2.5TD is a little sick. It starts & drives fine but after heating up the glowplug/scavenger light keeps flashing (no sequence, just on/off/on/off) i got all the diagnostic info from the members area & have searched the forum the best I can...

The mechanic has looked at the info & managed to get the light to flash a sequence using a short-wire, but unsure if it should be a 2 or 4-digit code & where to get the codes to confirm faults?

The first garage knocked me back as they have no idea. Mazda, Aberdeen were absolutely shocking & another garage said it was the valve timing so need to replace the timing belt🤔

Does anyone know if their is any tools to read the fault codes, or where I could get the codes list & if it’s 2 or 4 digit codes I should be looking at?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Diagnostics

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:29 pm

If its 2002 then its more likely to be a 4-digit code there is a factsheet if your a club member that lists the 2-digit and 4-digit codes and how to trigger them, if your a club member (not just a free forum user) then login to the Users area (see "Join Bongo" button at the top centre) and Sign In from there and click the Members Area button before clicking this link https://igmaynard.co.uk/download/diagnostics.pdf
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:32 pm

And here are a few posts relating to the 2002 glowplug light flashing, that may also help you: search.php?keywords=Code*+2002+glow

Our diagnostics machine can read the codes but we are too far from you.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
davben23
Bongonaut

Post by davben23 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi
Not sure where you are based but Bongo spares have a diagnostic reader that plugs in and can read the codes. Maybe give them a call ?
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I’m based in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire so think they are a bit out of the way but may consider taking it down as can’t seem to get any joy in my area.

I’m a full paid-up member & did check the fact sheets etc but it’s still not very clear & a little contradicting at times!

I’ve ordered the service manual & a couple of other manuals from the shop so hopefully might get a bit more info from there.

Taken a video of the codes & will try to upload later if I get a chance. Just trying to work out what is classed as 0’s for generating codes.

If they are 4-digit codes then there is around 4-codes stored will need to watch the video back a few times & write down or hook it up to a scope. The first code for instance is;
If this makes any sense to anyone...
_|****|_|*|_|****|_|*|
ON on On on
The **** represents light on single long flash & * is light on short flash...
so would that be
1111, 0101?
The problem with all the guess work & not knowing for sure is that if you generate the wrong code you end up changing/servicing parts that wasn’t actually the cause/issue.
Bongofamily
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongofamily » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 am

I think at that age you have four digit codes. If you use a paperclip in to trigger the codes in the diagnostic connector you can read the sequence off the glow plug light.

Each long pulse signifies a change of place in the 4 part code and the short flashes are the digit. There is usually one long pulse and a big gap at the start too that is like a welcome to the diagnostic mode. The codes keep cycling through so just watch for the patterns.

As an example I would expect ON OFFFFFFFFF ON on ON on on ON on on ON on on on on which would translate as welcome to diagnostic mode.... 1224, that could then be translated into an issue with the wastegate
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:37 am

Wastegate issues on later diesels are not uncommon. Go to the members area of the main site and read the Wastegate f/s. It summarizes most of the info from here on the Forum and elsewhere.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Perfect, thanks for the replies.

@Bongofamily thanks for that, sounds spot-on. I made up a short wire with 2x non insulated blade terminals that fit in the diagnostic connectors. Shorting TEN & GND.
Ignition On, GlowPlug light come on for approx 3.5 seconds then off for 2.5 seconds (Welcome/entering diagnostic mode)
After this followed a long flash (2-seconds) 2-second gap then a .5 second short flash followed by a 4.5second gap in between the next numbers.
After all 4 digits have lit up there is an 8-second gap before displaying the next code (if any) & will continue until repeats the 1st code.

Now that it’s all fresh in my head I will try & make some notes for future reference so if anyone has a similar issue please feel free to give me a shout.

I’ve re-checked the codes & have 3 fault codes stored:

Now just need to find out what they are & see what is required to get them sorted🙏

@Ian, thanks for that will be sure to take a look at the wastegate F/S👍

Thanks again
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:14 pm

1114 = Air Intake Sensor
0400 = EGR
1228 = Wastegate
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Gandalf The White
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:40 am

Hi there.

I had a longstanding problems with our 2002 Diesel Bongo with the dreaded going into limp mode and glow plug light flashing once engine was warm and sat in traffic. I cleared all the old fault codes and found the two fault codes being displayed were P0400 and P1228. Spent hours researching this trawling for answers through the forums, FB groups and it's also well detailed on the Wastegate Actuator factsheet in the members section. It's obvious people have spent hours on this, but nothing seems to give a permanent guaranteed long term fix. After much head scratching I discovered Mark at The Bongo Master in Leicestershire, really good, decent, honest bloke, who knows Bongos inside and out, he has great reviews from all his customers. Mark immediately knew what the problem was. It's a known issue with later Bongos, due to combination of a change of turbo design and poorer quality grade diesel in the UK. Mark charges £600 to retrofit an older turbo from an earlier model and changes the relevant ducting and piping to go with it. The van then ran as sweet as a nut, with no loss in performance at all. Just thought I'd share, as it could save somebody alot of time, money and hassle in the future.

https://www.thebongomaster.co.uk/

Return to “Techie Stuff”