AFT open close switch trouble

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

AFT open close switch trouble

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:40 pm

I am having trouble with the AFT open/close switch, specifcially close. The last 3 times we used the roof it takes 3 presses to close, opening is fine, opens first time. (more recently, today, 12 times !)

Fairly sure it is the close switch and not local cancel as it does eventually go after press 3 at least this summer. I was just applying some WD40 PTFE lube to the gas struts outside our home. (worked a treat by the way, came down silky, as I gather rubber/plastic/metal safe and won't perish seals)

However it took 12 close presses ! My anxiety went through the roof. (Pardon the non intended pun)

Does anyone have experience with the open/close switch, will a squirt of servisol be possible without removing the switch from the trim ? Is it likely a dirty switch or could it be wiring ? Any obvious things to check ? Is the switch itself easy to remove if need be ?

Anyone with experience with the AFT roof switch would be very much appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: AFT open close switch trouble

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:19 pm

See my link here on opening it up fully and cleaning them; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:42 pm

You are the man g8dhe, many thanks !

Also found this (I should have done a search before) but then I would not have been directed to your video.

viewtopic.php?t=73043

I will take a look. 9 years Bongoing, time flies been doing maintenance today and knew switch would be coming up but did not expect it needing attention quite as urgently. At least we are out of touring season for now so I have time to tinker and it is at home and not in a field with the roof stuck up !

Just been out doing the annual rust sorting. I notice the POR15 small pots have been out of stock, hopefully people are slapping it all over their Bongos ! :D Had to stick with hammerite for these non structural areas (inside at top of side door a little nook there with a surface rust patch, bottom edge of passenger door and the collars of the front suspension treated/painted today.)

I am considering undersealing at the moment (pro job as I cannot get her up in the air) Probably money well spent. I can do quite a lot but it's the bits you cannot get to that are the worry and we have not plans of selling yet. I have done so much rust protection and the cost of big repairs we may as well keep on Bongoing. I cannot see any other low cost options really and the engine is running smooth as silk at the moment. Still getting 40mpg at 55mph. Yes tey have a few trouble every now and then but I think we sorted the bulk out with the engine and new pipes for a while.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:40 pm

Worth noting the blind switches are identical to the AFT switch.

If stuck you could swap one, and the blinds may be operated manually. :wink:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:54 pm

Thanks, good to know, I always do ours by hand, now if I realized they were automatic that really would be something after 9 years :lol: Have not seen any switches where are the blind switches if installed ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:36 pm

On the offside then between the two rear side windows on the plastic panel covering the "C" pillar.
On the nearside its directly above and central to the sliding door, and the rear one is down in the cubby hole leading edge below the window.
If the blinds pull down and click into groves on either side then there not electric style!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:11 pm

Super duper switch cleaned, was slightly varnished on 1 contact particularly, servisol and a little gentle scrape and working first time again.
Many thanks Geoff. Also coming down smooth after the little spray of PTFE. Very satisfied with that little job, takes the worry about
it not coming back down next year.

We have manual blinds.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:00 pm

Good to hear, and yes its reasonably obvious if you have the switches for the blinds ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”