Shifter cable adjustment.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Shifter cable adjustment.

Post by thedogsbollox » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Just had my gearbox replaced for a second hand one and right away I noticed I cannot start up in Park. It will start in Neutral though. The roof still works whilst in Park, which I think is necessary for it to work right? A couple of times the reverse beeper has come on when putting into Park. I figure the shifter cable needs adjusting. Does it need yo go longer or shorter? Which end is the adjuster?
Tony
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Shifter cable adjustment.

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Doesn't have to be in park to put the roof up, just the handbrake has to be on. Not sure about any shifter adjustment though.
Last edited by missfixit70 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Not sure that this helps much - http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html - can't see anything immediately obvious as an adjustment.
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Tony if you take off the centre console, theres a clip on the handbrake it looks like you can move that by adjusting the screw and moving the bracket type thing thats attached to the cable towards the front it looks like thats the adjuster.

once you take off the center console stick your head down by the footwell and you will see under the cowling at the front of the handbrake, mines set in the middle but depending on the state of your cable it might be stretched and need pushing further up or down
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm

waycar8 wrote:Tony if you take off the centre console, theres a clip on the handbrake it looks like you can move that by adjusting the screw and moving the bracket type thing thats attached to the cable towards the front it looks like thats the adjuster.

once you take off the center console stick your head down by the footwell and you will see under the cowling at the front of the handbrake, mines set in the middle but depending on the state of your cable it might be stretched and need pushing further up or down
This sounds like handbrake adjustment Wayne? He wanted shifter adjustment :wink:
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:40 pm

ah just been out and checked, if the fates fatest cable on the front is for the handbrake then yes it is

But right next to it closest towards drivers seat, attached to the thin cable is a thread bar that when twisted shortens so if you remove the small plastic cover by the drivers left knee if your sat in the bongo, Ive tried to turn it but it springs back, so you have to take the pin out ( number 46 525 on the lush projects drawing), then twist the bar and put it back together, I am presuming this is the adjuster
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:43 pm

That looks like it could be it as it sounds like it's the interlock that needs adjusting rather than the actual shifter cable.
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm

missfixit70 wrote:That looks like it could be it as it sounds like it's the interlock that needs adjusting rather than the actual shifter cable.
Oh, right the interlock, i never thought of that, of course it could be that. What is it????????????
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Basically it's the cable (46-300 on the diagram thar goes up to the left) what's connected between the shifter & ignition that prevents it from starting unless it's in P or N :wink:
Last edited by missfixit70 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Good call. What about the reverse beeper coming on whilst in park(only happened twice and wasn't actually in reverse gear, this just needed selecting N then P again to cure it)
TDB
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Aha. Just remembered that I also had a couple of problems removing the key! Tis all pointing to the interlock cable innit
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:03 pm

My gear shifter won't lock in Park, and for some reason I don't need to use the break peddle either.......

Same interlock cable?????

I have located this twist bar and removed the black plastic cover and adjusted it, but it hasn't actually done anything beneficial for my gear stick problems
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:53 pm

The locking in Park is handled by the Large silver button and the ratchet mechanism inside in conjunction with the interlock cable for the foot brake.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:13 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:53 pm The locking in Park is handled by the Large silver button and the ratchet mechanism inside in conjunction with the interlock cable for the foot brake.

Ok thanks for the advice but I honestly have no idea where to begin. I can't even remember now how it got like this lol. Also how do I tighten my hand real under the van. I looked today and followed the cable back and it's attached to a lever on the side of what looks like a tank or some sort with a long rubber gator on with a cotton pin on the end. It feels quite slack when hand break is on and off.
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:04 pm

Maybe you need to refer to the mech. diagrams available here https://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/ follow the menu's down to locate the relevant diagram, it will at least show you what is what. For more detail then its best to obtain from the Shop service manual(s) for which ever engine you have.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”