2.0i litre petrol 1999 Camshaft position sensor 12v.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongobiscuit
Apprentice Bongonaut

2.0i litre petrol 1999 Camshaft position sensor 12v.

Post by bongobiscuit » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:46 pm

Hi, I have had my Bongo for 13 years and know it fairly well. It still runs smooth and well. But last 12 months it does classic crankshaft position sensor problems symptoms and rpm runs up and down quickly, tries to stall, sometimes does but always starts again fine. So it is intermittent and more noticeable / scary in cold weather. Happens mainly on low idle, ie in lights, pulling away on acceleration. Not all time though. All obvious service parts been done, new Lamda, new exhaust. spark plugs ok, new coil, new rotor cap and rotor, fuel filter, oil change, superunleaded all the time. I went searching for crankshaft position sensor yesterday, took over both parts of timing cover but there does not appear to be one. ( new Mazda timing belt). Alternator and belt good. I phoned Bongo Spares, who used to be quite good. A girl said crankshaft position sensor is in distributor and is £270.00 for distributor replacement, 2nd hand, only way it can come. Does any know what she is talking about and had this type of problem. I have Jappo manual says there is a CKP for V6 and Diesel but doesn't mention 2.0i on this one and no diagrams, so does Emma have a point? Thank you so much for any knowledgeable answers. Bongo on. Victoria.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: 2.0i litre petrol 1999 Camshaft position sensor 12v.

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:09 pm

Yes on the 2l petrol, if you look at the distributor you have an additional plug on the side of the distributor body which has the sensor wires being brought out on it. On the cap you have the normal HT leads see here http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
You can see the connector here on the Mazdabongo site https://mazdabongo.com/product/mazda-bo ... lead-type/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongobiscuit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongobiscuit » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:42 pm

Dear Spherical, thank you very much for your response. So the Camshaft position sensor is the crankshaft sensor on the Bongo 2.0li? The distributor is about the only thing I haven't replaced! Interesting to note here, the distributor on Mazda bongo through the link you provided new is cheaper than a second hand one quoted to me by Bongo Spares! Mine has no king lead though, must be the earlier model. Thank you for your Bongo Craft. :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:44 pm

Yes make sure you get the same style, there is a 5 lead and 4 lead versions I believe.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongobiscuit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongobiscuit » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:03 pm

:D :D Thank you very much spherical.
Eat Aunt
Bongolier

Post by Eat Aunt » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:46 pm

bongobiscuit wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:46 pm Hi, I have had my Bongo for 13 years and know it fairly well. It still runs smooth and well. But last 12 months it does classic crankshaft position sensor problems symptoms and rpm runs up and down quickly, tries to stall, sometimes does but always starts again fine. So it is intermittent and more noticeable / scary in cold weather. Happens mainly on low idle, ie in lights, pulling away on acceleration. Not all time though. All obvious service parts been done, new Lamda, new exhaust. spark plugs ok, new coil, new rotor cap and rotor, fuel filter, oil change, superunleaded all the time. I went searching for crankshaft position sensor yesterday, took over both parts of timing cover but there does not appear to be one. ( new Mazda timing belt). Alternator and belt good. I phoned Bongo Spares, who used to be quite good. A girl said crankshaft position sensor is in distributor and is £270.00 for distributor replacement, 2nd hand, only way it can come. Does any know what she is talking about and had this type of problem. I have Jappo manual says there is a CKP for V6 and Diesel but doesn't mention 2.0i on this one and no diagrams, so does Emma have a point? Thank you so much for any knowledgeable answers. Bongo on. Victoria.
I have had a similar issue.... I have just had a Distributor-Driver from Bongo Spares, completely solved solved the problem after fitting new plugs , coil pack etc.... It is a reconditioned exchange Distributor-driver and believe me I thought it was brand new ! Yes it is £280 exchange but worth every penny. Less than half hour for my garage to fit it...
The reason they begin to fail on our petrol Bongos is the wiring in the unit begins to break down.... If you ask for George at Bongo Spares, in the workshop, he will be very helpful as he was with me :)

Good Luck

Ian

Black Std 2WD AFT

Reg: N...CBL (= Naughty Chimp But Lovely!)

Now 2001 V6 Tintop
bongobiscuit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongobiscuit » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:39 pm

Thanks Ian et al, I have just read this.
Interestingly, UPDATE- I did purchase the full re-conditioned unit from Bongo Spares (made it up with Emma!) and it worked a treat for 5 miles, then the same issue came up again, actually it was worse. Yes the distributor works very well , but that was not the fault!
Since thenI have changed the PCV vallve too, little black plastic jobby on driver's side under the seat on cylinder cover. And changed hosing. Nope, problem still there. Worse now, car stalls. Regular mechanics don't want to touch it because ( they say) they know nothing about the Bongo!
Today I contacted a spares/ repair garage in Billingshurst. Graham replied very quickly very friendly, told him all the parts I replaced. He said look at gearbox AFT oil and test fuel pressure.
Anyone know best way to take a fuel pressure test from pump. It could possible be the pump which means defo garage job. Thanks Bongo bravehearts.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:15 pm

I had similar symptoms on my 2L. Turned out it was the mass airflow sensor. I tried cleaning it initially, but that didn't work. Ended up replacing it with a pattern part as the OEM ones are silly money. It's been running perfectly ever since.
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion
bongobiscuit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongobiscuit » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:39 pm

Ahh thanks Michelle, that is most helpful. That's the sensor on the air filter near the box right? (So long since I've checked) I'll give this a go. :)
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:02 pm

Yes, it's the box next to the air filter housing. Try unplugging it first and see if that improves the running. The ECU will use default values.
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion

Return to “Techie Stuff”