Rear heater faulty

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

driward
Bongonaut

Rear heater faulty

Post by driward » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:23 pm

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can suggest what might be causing a rear heater to be noisily blowing cold air when switched on? The front heater works perfectly but not the rear

Any suggestions very much appreciated
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear heater faulty

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:12 pm

Quite often the pipes rust up and are sealed off so no heating available to warm the air up. Otherwise it will be a problem inside the unit perhaps with the mixing vane not working, but the most common cause is leaking pipes that have been sealed up/bypasses as there part of the engine cooling system.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
driward
Bongonaut

Post by driward » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:34 pm

Thanks. It seems a bit of a coincidence that I also have a noisy fan as well as no heat, so maybe more likely to be something in the unit itself. That’s as far as my thinking takes me. Maybe my first thing should be to check the unit itself, and if there’s no obvious fault move on to the pipes. Do you know how I could access the pipes to inspect them?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:18 pm

Yup could well be, just that there a bit of a pain to get out and work on, there have been some posts in the past describing what needs to be done to get at them. Main problem is you need I believe to disconnect the cooling system and hence vent the refrigerant etc.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
driward
Bongonaut

Post by driward » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:02 pm

Ah, that’s useful to know. If it means disconnecting the coolant I think I’ll avoid the job completely and rely solely on the front heaters which circulate warm air pretty well. I know that once I get started removing things I won’t know where to stop, so easiest if I just learn to live with it. Thanks for saving me the headache.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:40 pm

Yes both coolant and aircon piping comes in from underneath the chassis so have to be disconnected before lifting out and opening up the box that houses it all see the mechanical diagrams for all the details https://www.lushprojects.com/bongoparts ... mgno=.html
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”