Both headlights failed, dip and main beam

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

busguy
Bongonaut

Both headlights failed, dip and main beam

Post by busguy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:35 pm

2004 Bongo 2.0 petrol. My Bongo was not used for a short time and the battery went flat. Charged it and it runs well. However, my headlights, both dip and main beam do not work. The stalk will light the flash main beam ok, and sidelights, etc are all working. Cannot see any bulb issues, so I think fuses or relays are the culprit. I would appreciate it if anyone else on here has had the problem, and found the solution. Thank you.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Both headlights failed, dip and main beam

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:03 pm

The Highbeam Dashboard light is fed from the same supply as the Highbeam itself. I would suggest you actually check the lamps themselves and the earth connections to the lamp sockets, its not been unknown for an inductive pulse to cause both lamps to fail together or quite often the lamp sockets overheat and fail, replacement sockets on eBay.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
busguy
Bongonaut

Post by busguy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:25 pm

Thanks Geoff. The blue light is lit on the dash when I hold the stalk to flash position, but the blue light on the dash does not light up when the main beam position is used on the stalk. As I live fairly local to you, do you happen to know anyone that that can sort it out at a reasonable cost/distance, if I can't?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:40 pm

The Blue light only shows when your on Highbeam, not when the mainbeam is powered. On the diagram below the Highbeam light is connected on the (31) tab link, there isn't a mainbeam light at all on the dashboard.
Headlights-1.jpg
Have you examined the actual headlight connectors on the back of the lamps ? They are often are heat damaged causing bad connections and can be replaced by new ceramic ones from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334365646486 and also perhaps check that the lamps do actually light, a visual examination isn't always sufficient.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:07 pm

Just realised you say the dashboard light lights with the Flash but not with Highbeam selected on the stalk, in that case suspect the relay as not operating hence no power to the lights circuit at all. The relay is mounted on the nearside wing at the rear it might be the relay or a poor connection to the coil.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
busguy
Bongonaut

Post by busguy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 pm

Thanks Geoff, I will look at the relay in the morning. Thanks again. John
busguy
Bongonaut

Post by busguy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:52 am

Hello Geoff, Not sure it is a faulty relay which was a pig to get off, but I have ordered a black relay J150 DC 12v IMASEN which is the same number as the one fitted. This relay number was used 2004/5 on this new late model Bongo, and the Mazda MX5 of the same years. Christmas post means I will probably not get it until the new year! I removed and cleaned the coil support bracket to chassis as there was a bit of rust round it. Is there any other earthing areas that are suspect? I have cleaned and tightened the earth on the battery too.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:32 pm

Can you feel the relay operating ? If you put your hand on it whilst someone turns the stalk switch you should be able to feel it operate if its working, Another possibility is the stalk switch itself of course.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”