More Hold Light Issues!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

toneee
Apprentice Bongonaut

More Hold Light Issues!

Post by toneee » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi All,

My Bongo has been laid up for a few months while I've been tackling some welding (inner and outer sills) to get her through her MOT.

I managed to get all that done, batteries charged back up and she started first turn of the key!

However, as soon as I got going to the test centre, the dreaded hold light began to flash, and it wont change out of 3rd (feels like third anyway). Felt laboured pulling away from the drive, so it's not going down into 1st or 2nd either.

I've jumped the M (TAT) and E (GND) pins on the diagnostics plug and the codes I'm getting are rather strange, in as much as they don't appear on the list of faults on the table shown on the philmcfadden site

Unless I'm reading the flashes wrong they are coming up as:

25 (two long flashes, followed by 5 short ones)
27 (two long flashes, followed by 7 short ones)

Anyone any idea what's going on here?

I'm reading these flashes from the HOLD light on the dash, rather than from the output pins on the diagnostic socket, for lack of a suitable LED/lamp to connect, but its the same signal.... right?

Its a 2001 2.5 Diesel by the way.

There is a leisure battery attached, and I've heard of faulty split charge relays causing issues, I disconnected the leisure battery, and relay, and put everything back to "as Mazda intended" and still have the same issue - So I think I can rule that out.

Any help greatly appreciated, as I'm supposed to be driving it over to France at the end of next week #-o

In other news she flew through the MOT (my welding cant have been that bad after all!)

Tony
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: More Hold Light Issues!

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:12 pm

Error code "25 Solenoid Valve (Pressure Regulator Control)" Using http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
but as you say nothing listed for 27, but bear in mind that the code list whilst common for most Mazda vehicles of that age was taken from the Mazda 626 so there maybe others not listed for the Friendee. Which might suggest checking the various solenoids dotted around the engine using the vacuum system might be an idea ?
I have seen suggestions that using a Google for " Mazda error codes P0025" or "Mazda error codes P0027" may also give hints about the nature of the problem on the basis that the old codes nay have been copied across to the 4-digit codes of later systems ..... ???

As too the SCR and LB causing problems, personally I doubt these reports, it might however be down to a flat LB causing the ECU backup supply to mean that the ECU might not be able to report correctly on first startup ...
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:47 pm

It's expensive, but you may need to replace the solenoids. See https://mazdabongo.com/product/mazda-bo ... 9-onwards/. But, as Geoff says, it may be that the ECU needs resetting.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
toneee
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by toneee » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:46 am

Thanks for the replies gents.

As you say Geoff, code 25 does exist, but isn't related to the Auto Transmission Control Module, its a fault that i would expect to see from the ECU, so I ruled it out as spurious.

I did a search for the corresponding OBDII protocol codes (P0025 & P0027), but no luck there, as neither relate to the transmission system, or anything that feeds into it. All rather strange.

Is it possible that the Auto Transmission Module itself is faulty? Maybe something sensitive got fried while I was welding not too far from where it's situated. Perhaps this would explain the strange codes it's throwing up? Long shot I think, but I've ordered a second hand unit from ebay, as it was only 40 odd quid, worth a shot I thought? I've assumed this unit isn't coded to the specific vehicle and should be plug and play? Possibly naive, but for the sake of a few quid I thought I'd try.

Ian, my first thoughts before reading the code was that the issue was going to be with the solenoid pack, so was willing to bite the bullet and replace them, but I was hoping the diagnostic codes would confirm these suspicions, rather than cause more confusion! That will be my next port of call if replacing the module doesn't resolve anything.

Will update if/when I get this sorted!

Tony
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:30 am

Later versions of the ECU combine both units in the one and report codes as necessary hence why some codes are missing from various tables as they appear in others, sometimes they appear in more than one table but with the same fault text!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
muirs
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by muirs » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:32 pm

Hi All, also getting hold light issues. Garage replaced entire gearbox, which has fixed the issue of the vehicle sticking in gear or refusing to move out of gear.

But light is back, garage happy to help but are claiming that there is no diagnostic error. I have got myself an obd scanner with the standard end and used that, and sure enough, no errors. But then I found another port that has a clip on the front that says 'Diagnostics' and has 25 pins, I have spent a good hour googling but can not find an adapter that matches the port - any ideas what adapter I need to access this port? Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, i did do a big search through other posts and couldnt see it asked anywhere
Attachments
Diagnostic port 2.jpg
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:02 pm

The box in the image is the older OBD diagnostic box, it is NOT OBDII (OBD 2) compatible. I've never found a convertor, although some high end garage quality devices have both interfaces.
You haven't said what year or engine you have? Some very late versions had an OBDII connector as well in the normal one placed to the left of the steering wheel under the dashboard edge, that will report the standard OBDII P???? error codes.
If the Hold or Glowplug light isn't flashing then there won't be an error code stored, the error codes are also lost when the Ignition is turned off.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
muirs
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by muirs » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:03 pm

Hi Geoff, super helpful, thank you! Yes there is a normal OBDII port under the steering wheel, so can I consider the older one in the photo defunct / not attached to the computer thing?

The engine is 2004 MAZDA E2000 TWIN SIDE DOORS 1998cc Petrol Automatic

The normal OBDII port doesn't show any codes, when the hold light is flashing or when it is not - is it possibly just a faulty light in the dashboard?
Thanks again!
Chris (Plymouth, Devon)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:30 pm

No the Hold light only flashes when the ECU is reporting a fault at least under the old OBD system, so it might be you need to interrogate the old one to see what it is reporting To access the codes use this http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm but the error codes documented are the old 2-digit ones, the 4-digit ones are listed on the Diagnostics sheet in the Members area.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:43 pm

Looks like this is not a Bongo Friendee, it is an E2000 Bongo. Different vehicle, different fault codes. What's the chassis number?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
petroben
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by petroben » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:40 pm

Hello Tony,

The flashing HOLD light in your Mazda Bongo and the transmission issues you described might be related to specific error codes. However, the flash codes you provided (25 and 27) don't seem to correspond to the standard OBD-II codes commonly used in modern vehicles.

Given that your Bongo is a 2001 model, it might use a different diagnostic system or have a unique set of flash codes. It's also worth noting that interpreting flash codes directly from the HOLD light might not be as precise as using a dedicated diagnostic tool.

To get a more accurate diagnosis, you may want to consider using a proper OBD-II scanner or take your Bongo to a Mazda dealership or an experienced mechanic who has the tools to read and interpret the transmission fault codes. This can help pinpoint the exact issue with your transmission and guide you on the necessary repairs.

I hope you can resolve the issue quickly and have a smooth trip to France!
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:44 pm

Perhaps not relevant in your case but...

My Bongo is a '96 2.5 diesel and I had this exact problem, hold light flashing and gearbox not changing higher than 3rd. I cleaned the crank sensor which was covered in road gunge and this cleared the problem, I don't know if your engine has the crank sensor but it may be worth a check.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Techie Stuff”