Parking sensors

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

markxt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Parking sensors

Post by markxt » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:33 am

Hello everyone. I'm sorting out our recently purchased Bongo and will soon be looking at head units (possibly Sony/Pioneer Apple CarPlay). I need reversing sensors that can be used with the unit (rather than need a separate display). Good visual guidance is essential (my partner is deaf). Most sensor kits use a separate display. Ideally I want to avoid cables but appreciate that a wired-in system may be preferable to wireless/bluetooth. Any info/opinion appreciated.
1998 2.0 L petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Parking sensors

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:29 am

Wired systems are much more reliable, there are so many devices these days using the shared 2.4GHz band that its not uncommon to suffer interference, also it has the advantage that wired systems can also be used as a rear view camera when driving, as opposed to merely when reverse gear is selected and the reversing light is powered.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
markxt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by markxt » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:14 am

Thanks for the advice - I'm gradually narrowing the search down, poss looking at a Pioneer unit as they make reasonably priced compatible cameras. The wiring aspect doesn't seem too complex. There is a lack of videos showing various cameras/parking systems in use although they seem to use the same 'guidelines' principal. It would be useful to hear from anyone who has had experience of any of these systems.
1998 2.0 L petrol.
Fredalorian
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Fredalorian » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:15 am

Please update when you decide as I'm interested in getting a parking sensor and reverse camera in mine and don't even know where to start.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:45 pm

I've used a variety of cameras of the years here are some of the installations http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/cameras/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
markxt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by markxt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:48 pm

UPDATE!
As I have a Pioneer SPH-DA160 DAB unit I decided on a Pioneer ND-BC8 camera - not the cheapest but I assumed that compatibility would lessen the chances of any issues…

Installation was easier than anticipated and I confess to slight disbelief when I saw an image from the camera when selected from the DAB unit.

There is a live feed from the camera that has to be connected to a reversing light cable to enable auto switching to the camera when reverse gear is selected. The relevant cable was red and yellow and I traced it to under the trim on the left side of the passenger footwell, so this was the route I took the cable from the back of the DAB unit. The cable continued up to the plastic top trim to the rear of the Bongo where it exited with the wash-water tube and onto the top of the door. I decided to place the camera here because this was easier than putting it above the licence plate and also because this viewpoint is better for judging distance and to see the surroundings. I made a cover from an old 35mm film container and so far all is well. Parking guide lines appear automatically (if required) - these are part of the DAB unit rather than the camera - and can be easily calibrated to specific chosen distances.

Image quality is reasonable and as good as most (as far as I can tell) but I’m not sure why it can’t be even better bearing in mind the quality we have come to expect from phones. it is easily possible to wire the camera so that the image is always available, rather than just when in reverse.
1998 2.0 L petrol.
Bongolian
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongolian » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:15 am

Sounds really good, though I’ve gotta say, the most impressive thing is you ‘found an old 35mm film container’.!
Like many I suspect, I’ve gone through hundreds over the years but I’m damned if I could lay my hands on one now. 😁

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”