Leisure Battery

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

blanch80
Junior Bongonaut

Leisure Battery

Post by blanch80 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:45 pm

Hi all,

Looking to buy a Yuasa Active Leisure Battery L26-AGM, https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteri ... a/l26-agm/ which has a NCC class of A and a capacity of 90aH.

My question is, what wattage solar panel charger should I be looking to complement it? I'm not mounting the solar charger, will be left on the dashboard but I've seen them range from 8W to 100W. I don't want to spend a fortune, but do want to make sure it stays charged when the van is sitting on my drive.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
David.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure Battery

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:16 pm

The minimum worthwhile power is 100Watt panel, personally I would go for roof mounting. Be aware that devices on eBay and the like are rather suspect quality see my previous posts that still apply viewtopic.php?p=679313#p679313 I should also suggest if your concerned by quality as opposed to price then buying a complete kit of parts designed for Bongo mounting is well worth the extra cost compared to buying parts separately unless you want a "Project" and all that it entails!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 am

What exactly are you trying to achieve? As mentioned, a proper, quality roof-mounted panel 100w + regulator and a good installation is going to give you some useful output. Couple of options, a semi-flexible bonded onto the roof and a heavier flat panel with brackets. Pros and cons for both, but a flat panel with an air gap under it should last longer and loose less efficiency over time as less likely to overheat. I actually went with a semi-flexible for looks and to keep the height under 2m for European carparks.

However, if you are just trickle charging to keep the battery in good nick, then a dash-mounted little 10 or 12w panel may have its uses. I've had a cheap one from Maplins for years.... used less now I have the roof-mounted panel, but as there is a large dark current drain on the Bongos starter battery, and if was ever going to be laid-up more than a couple of weeks, then I'd disconnect the battery and just condition it by trickle charging. I do occasionally still use the little dash panel, as occasionally pull the covers over the entire vehicle, hiding the roof panel. If your main concern is the battery discharging, then maybe a cheap little panel might be useful - but disconnecting or fitting those battery terminal disconnect/isolators on the ground lead is likely sufficient.

One tip an auto electrician gave me is to replace both starter and leisure battery at the same time and try to never discharge the leisure battery completely - a quality roof-panel will really help with that. Knocking on 10 years with these Vartas, and touch wood still going strong!!
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
blanch80
Junior Bongonaut

Post by blanch80 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:14 pm

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

It’s more to act as a trickle charger, keep it topped up when it’s standing. We only really use it a couple of nights at a time so it’s mainly blinds, lights and radio that we use.

I’ve got one on the roof already that the previous owner fitted, but we’ve got a tent box on permanently now which renders it useless, and I don’t want to put one on top of the tent box.

Return to “Techie Stuff”