Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

NLB2024
Bongonaut

Couple of questions

Post by NLB2024 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:46 pm

So new owner here 1996 2.5TD.

Couple of questions if I could

1 - The heating system ... definitely works temperature wise.... i can feel it hot and cold.... when I put the fan onto 1 2 3 4 setting i can hear it getting louder and faster, the issue being that it doesnt seem to pump air out of the vents / footwell / windscreen very well. I have checked the actuator for it in the drivers side foot well and it is definitely moving as you pick between the various options.... any thoughts on what might be the issue?

2 I have an oil leak coming from the engine on the passenger side mid engine ish area... should i worry about it or just accept at 27 years old this is going to happen and just monitor?

Cheers!!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Couple of questions

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:57 pm

Your aware that the eye level vents won't blow hot air - to prevent you drying eyes out! The Windscreen and footwell vents are where hot air comes out. The front eye level vents will blow but never very hot air!
The other possibility is that the cooling matrix at the front that handles the incoming air from the fan can get badly clogged up and restricts air flow to the entire system, you need to remove the front fan under the bonnet and then it allows access to the cooling matrix (this reduces moisture level first, before it passes over the heating matrix) otherwise you end up with heated moist air that then condenses inside the cabin spreading moisture, however the moisture condenses on the cooling matrix and then turns to a solid mess blocking the matrix. You will need cleaning fluids, toothbrush and a gentle pick to remove all the muck, you have to work around the aircon thermostat and control parts!
cleaning_air_con_cooler_matrix.jpg
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”