Bongo 2.5td non starter after trying a lot!!!!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Epiccustomvans
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo 2.5td non starter after trying a lot!!!!!

Post by Epiccustomvans » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:10 pm

So we have bought a bongo 2.5 TD that's been off the road for a few years due to rust, the guy said it he moved it about from time to time, it would start but then cut out.

So far we have replaced the fuel filter, but found it was getting no fuel upto the filter and then injectors, I used a pump to pull the diesel up to the engine, fully recharged battery still no go after hours of cranking, then I bypassed the fuel tank and filter, and used a can of diesel straight to the banjo connection, after cranking over it eventually sucked the fuel in and held it, but still no start! Cracked the injectors to acknowledge fuel and it was there spraying out, still no go, tested stop solenoid has 12volt supply, so then removed solenoid and pulled out the spring and plunger and reinstalled, still no go!!!! It's like it trys to fire up but won't catch, tried everything including easy start but no go!!! Can anyone help please
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo 2.5td non starter after trying a lot!!!!!

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:00 pm

Have you checked that there is power to the glowplug busbar, and also I wonder about the age of the glowplugs themselves ? There is a fusible link for the glowplugs that bolts on the arm of the battery and leads down to the glowplug relay on the offside behind the battery, it looks like a normal piece of wire but isn't! Replacements available from the shop if it has blown https://bongoland.co.uk/product/fusable-link/ this can happen if the busbar touches the engine/injectors and earths out blowing it.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Epiccustomvans
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Epiccustomvans » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:44 pm

That's something I have not checked yet, only because visibly they don't look that old, but I will certainly check for power there tomorrow, I just thought even without glow plugs working it would eventually fire up, as it's trying, chucking out a lot of greyish white smoke as it's turning over
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:52 pm

Depends on the temperature of the engine, after a cold night the glowplugs need to be able to vaporise the fuel. Once the engine is warm then the glowplugs are turned off by the ECU (not the timing light) hence even when a little warm then the glowplugs won't need to be used, but you won't know about it all controlled by the ECU!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Epiccustomvans
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Epiccustomvans » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:54 pm

I can confirm that there is power too the busbar, and too each glow plug, I have removed them and tested all glow red, so I'm stumped now
Epiccustomvans
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Epiccustomvans » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:31 pm

After doing a bit of research I have found an advert for this bongo 4 months ago on Facebook and it said starts and runs but runs really rough, and the person I bought it off said it ran but stalled, does this point to the injector pump?

As I said before it's currently connected up.to a can of diesel and it's drawn the diesel up and held it there, but don't appear to be any coming out of the return when turning over?? I'm stumped
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:23 am

Bit brutal but run it on easy start spraying into inlet pipe I find that the best way to figure out diesel issues

Return to “Techie Stuff”